Hop Emergency!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I'm at a rolling boil and I've just realized I don't have any hallertau hops for my german hef. I used them all on my last batch. I'm over an hours drive from the nearest supply shop. These are my options:

- 1 oz of whole leaf hallertau that I bought from an out of the way wine store about 4 or 5 months back. I opened them after purchase they smelled a little funky, so I've kept them in the freezer ever since. Who knows how old they are. They still smell funky.

- 1 oz of cascade pellets. Bought these fresh about 10 months back. But they've been sitting in the fridge (not freezer) ever since. They're smelling a little funky themselves.

Luckily it's not a highly hopped beer, but what should I do? Which should I use.?Should I just boil and skip flavor aroma?

Since it is bittering I'd say anything that gives you sufficient IBU. Yes definitely skip flavor and aroma. In fact I use none.

you could add both, but i'd just use the hallertau myself...the cascade isn't really to style and it will still add flavor even at the bittering stage. i'm sure the hallertau will get the job done. skip flavor and aroma and just use it for bittering. hefeweizens shouldn't have flavor and aroma hops anyway.

Yeah, definitely skipping on the hops for flavor/aroma. I'll depend on the yeast to do that. Now that I think about it, the cascades don't really smell that bad compared to the hallertau. Those are bad and they're in the trash. I figure since the cascades have a higher AA, I can use less and still get the same IBUs out of them.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back