RIS Swap - BierMunchers Junk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here were my recipients:
Poindexter

EvilTOJ

Brewsmith

I also included a bottle of RIS in two private swaps to:

Edwort
and
niquejim

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Due to the fact that I was not part of the 8/8/08 swap I have already had mine from you and Ed. Sad thing is RIS is my least favorite style but I can tell when one tastes like it is should. To whoever gets his beer, if you like RIS's you're gonna love this. It is everything it should be

Having an 8.8.8 right now...

Aroma - Dark chocolate, some plum/raisin and a little roast

Appearance - Black and very little head. Could be the glass, but there was very little sound when I opened the bottle.

Flavor - Bittersweet, hoppy. Lots of roasty chocolate flavor. Bitterness matches with dark malt flavors.

Mouthfeel - Thick, but not cloying. Very little carbonation. Raisiny plum flavors linger in the finish.

Overall - Very nice. If the carbonation was just a little higher it would dry out the finish a little more. The malt and bitterness is nicely balanced.

I chilled the Haus Pale and FWH IPA right away and drank them several weeks ago while I was still in Texas.

As I have already expressed to BM via PM, I have to stop brewing extract.

I have made extract versions of both the Haus Pale and the FWH IPA. Both of mine were very good.

BM's stuff was so good it blew me away.

For now I am still in Alaska and the BM RIS is aging in North Carolina. I am really looking forward to trying one when I get home.

Ignore me. I'm a RIS gnome, just bumping this thread. Some people, see, have the forum to not show posts older than 1 month. This leads to them thinking that their post was deleted - when in fact, it is just hiding from them. Just like this RIS gnome is hiding from you.

:)

missing: poindexter,eviltoj

After one year under ideal cellar conditions, temp controlled 65-77F, no direct UV, vertical bottle, yada yada.

Appearance 2/3 Just barely carbed, but beautiful dark dark chocolate with waves and waves of chocolate malty aroma, no apparent hops.

Aroma 10/12 malty,malty, malty, zero hops and a little alcohol warmth. Appropriate for style even with out CO2 to carry it out of the glass.

Flavor 15/20 Freaking awesome, but flat. I sure wish this was carbed.

Mouthfeel3/5 Damn I wish this bottle had held carbonation. I am not taking points off for anything else, but this is a really good beer even flat.

Overall5/10. For being a flat beer this is phenomenal. I can't send it home with a score over 35, but this would be way up in the 40s I imagine with good carbonation. I am not experienced enough to know what good carb would do to the rest of the beer. There is just the tiniest bit of roastiness in the finish now and I would be afraid of losing it. I got a tiny little hiss when the cap came off and a little bit of really tiny bubbles for a few moments; I think there are plenty of head protiens in here, they looked delicious.

Bummer on the 35, but I have never scored a flat beer above 25 before.

I got one swallow left, this has been a seriously bad day but knowing I can maybe make something this good someday is a highlight. This recipe will be my first AG batch when I own a building with a dedicated below ground beer cellar, and Biermuncher's brew notes will be on the short list of those I consult.

Cheers!

Mouthfeel3/5 Damn I wish this bottle had held carbonation. I am not taking points off for anything else, but this is a really good beer even flat.

LOL. No worries on the score Poindexter. I appreciate. Indeed, it seems there were a few hit or miss bottles on carbonation. They were force carb'd and then bottled so they should have been consistent.

I'll have to crack one tonight and see how it is. :ban:

Back