clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
are clones worth while, do they really get close to the taste of the original?

Only clone I've done is a Lone Star clone for my friends and it's pretty tastey but a bit dark.

I know lots of folks have done the clone kits from austinhomebrew and liked them so I'd say yes.

IMO the reason for brewing clones is to hone your skills. It's like a sheet of arithmetic problems for a third grader. You brew a clone and then compare it to the original, then go back and make some changes. repeat till perfected. This way you get a firm grasp on what little changes in recipe and technique can do to your brew. I wouldn't brew a Seirra Nevada clone cause I love Seirra Nevada and want to make it cheaper. If I want to drink SN I'll buy SN. I would clone it to perfect the minor tweaks necessary to adjust the color just a hair, or bring up the IBU's to the perfect level, or increase the head retention. After cloning a beer a few times you will be a better brewer at all you brew. I say you should never only clone a brew once. you will learn nothing from that.

krispy d said:
IMO the reason for brewing clones is to hone your skills. It's like a sheet of arithmetic problems for a third grader. You brew a clone and then compare it to the original, then go back and make some changes. repeat till perfected. This way you get a firm grasp on what little changes in recipe and technique can do to your brew. I wouldn't brew a Seirra Nevada clone cause I love Seirra Nevada and want to make it cheaper. If I want to drink SN I'll buy SN. I would clone it to perfect the minor tweaks necessary to adjust the color just a hair, or bring up the IBU's to the perfect level, or increase the head retention. After cloning a beer a few times you will be a better brewer at all you brew. I say you should never only clone a brew once. you will learn nothing from that.

Well put. Seeing how minor recipe tweaks change the final brew in comparison to the commercial product is a lot easier for than novice brewer than just tweaking and hoping to tell the difference on its own.

A clone recipe should be exactly the same as the original, even though it probably has a different recipe. I like to do clones of ales I can't get locally (although I probably could just drive up to Liquid Solutions and buy most of them).

My clones have been very close the 1st time and then tweek some on try no. 2.

I like the book "Clonebrews" by Szamatulski, it has mini mash and all grain recipes.

Phil

Beer Captured is even better. The recipes I've brewed from both books, however, have not been very close to the actual commercial examples...but very good brews in a similar style...which is pretty much the point.

brew a clone as a guideline....see what goes into the brews you love. why make a beer that you can just buy at a store? try to make something just as good or better that's all your own!

I like to clone beers that are super expensive. I'm working on a Rochefort 10 clone. The beer is amazing and I just can't afford/find it that often. Even if I'm not right on, it's still going to be a great beer.

I also want to do Evan!'s Mephistopheles clone, because I never had the real one, but I've wanted to try it. So this will be close enough that I can try the beer, and have a bunch of it on hand.

I brew 90% personal recipes I create, but it's fun to have 5+ gallons of some hard to get, expensive beer on hand.

Back