Mismatch hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
Anyone ever made a dark beer with hops that are normally associated with pales or lagers? I have some centennial and saaz lying around but I wanna do a dark beer.

I did one the other day, used treacle and dark soft brown sugar in mine with some home malted whole oat groats, but added .5oz Fuggles for 60, .5oz Citra for 20, .5oz Tet for 15 and .5oz Galaxy for 5. Its a 3 Imperial gallon batch. Then dry hopping with .5oz Citra. Tastes good so far. Very strange taste at first, but good. Even better now with the dry hop. Get an experiment done! I love mix and match to see what goes and what doesn't.

Go for it! Experiment. Thats the fun of homebrew. Centennial is actually very good in a stout. At least, I like it. There is a commercial example. However, I can't remember whose it is.

Old Rasputin uses Centennial as a late hop for flavor and aroma.

But as Osedax put it, go for it! The piney and light citrus hops in my opinion meld the best in dark beers, as compared to varieties like Citra and Galaxy. Not that they won't be tasty, but I find piney and light citrus play off the roast, chocolate, and coffee flavors the best.

Isn't that the same concept as Cascadian Dark / Black IPA? A dark, but not heavy beer with North West hops ("Columbus, Centennial, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe and Cascade or hybrids of these like Warrior or Magnum" from BYO Jul/Aug 2010) and a dry finish. Generally the hop profile has a pine or citrus note.

It was just recognized as an official style in the last couple years. Pioneered by a combo of homebrewers and craft breweries.

I did a black IPA with chinook and simcoe that was incredible, and recently did a low-gravity stout with a ton of Hersbrucker that was also awesome. Dark beers can stand up to a lot of hops, actually. I just bottled an RIS that uses all chinook and willamette, and it's also very promising--at about 90 IBUs!

I've made a caramel amber (not black, but still dark) with an ounce each of citra and simcoe at knockout. Not good at all. It was just an odd combination of caramel and fruit that didn't go well. Made the same beer with cascade and it was great.

Back