Co2 carbonation versus natural yeast carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibbly

Reaction score
I am thinking of investing in a legging system. I know nothing about this and am very intimidated. My dad is a grouchy old curmudgeon who complains about the sediment in my beer and the lack of serious carbonation. He likes me fizzy.
What should I watch out for with the keg systems?
Will this mechanical carbonation improve clarity due to no yeast cells?
Will using a CO2 system make bigger more impressive bubbles? It's a bit pricey so I wanna be sure I'm not wasting my money :)

I am thinking of investing in a legging system. I know nothing about this and am very intimidated. My dad is a grouchy old curmudgeon who complains about the sediment in my beer and the lack of serious carbonation. He likes me fizzy.
What should I watch out for with the keg systems?
Will this mechanical carbonation improve clarity due to no yeast cells?
Will using a CO2 system make bigger more impressive bubbles? It's a bit pricey so I wanna be sure I'm not wasting my money :)

Lack of carbonation and clarity need not be a problem with bottle conditioning. If you are priming the right amount, letting it condition for 3 weeks at 70F, then cold conditioning for at least 48 hours, then the yeast bed should be well compacted such that you can carefully decant into a glass and avoid yeast. Now there are other problems such as chill haze that have nothing to do with the yeast. That can often be taken care of with kettle finings.

To me kegging is about convenience of packaging and serving. The nature of the carbonation will be the same.

Nothing to be intimidated by with kegging.
put the beer in, pressurize, wait, drink.

You may want to look at other clarifying methods as well.
I don't know your beer or methods but forced carbonating will eliminate any yeast in the bottom.

If you want to have some bottles still, you can always get a beer gun or counter pressure filler and fill bottles right out of the carbonated keg.

You can also adjust your carbonation by letting out all the pressure every morning and night for a few days to lower it, or you can turn the pressure up and give it some time to add carbonation.

There are tables you can use as a guide for figuring that out.

Back