How to avoid the temptation of drinking 'young, green beer'.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robms88

Reaction score
I have recently got back into the home-brewing and I agree with the guilt feeling. The only thing I can suggest to overcome this issue is to let the beer sit for as long as you can by brewing another batch. Bottles are pretty inexpensive these days; therefore, I have bought loads to get a back log of batches going. I can then happily drink green beer knowing that I have loads backed up. The idea is to brew so much that you cannot possibly drink it quick enough - just like the very rich who cannot spend their money quick enough. I test one bottle of each batch after about a week to two weeks to make sure that it is OK. By OK, I mean only 'young' and not infected.

I have about 240 pints sitting, conditioning. Home brewing does take a long time, but FORTUNATELY the yeast do most of the work.

If you are lucky, you might find someone who can let you taste a beer that has conditioned for a long time (at its prime depending on the beer). It will MAKE you wait for yours to improve, and I can guarantee that the person will encourage you to wait, too.

Let them taste your 'green beer' as I can assure you they will tell you there is nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that you gave them a bottle and it is now gone, whereas it should have been sitting for longer and consumed when it is nice.

I work out that I will drink about 2 bottles a day (568ml), so multiply that by 360 days = 720 beers. 720 divide 40 (usual kit) (568ml bottles) is 18 batches. I try to wait at least 3 months for it to be at its best, so you want to brew at least 4-5 batches to get a 3 month, rolling back log. I usually do more because I sometimes session drink and have others drinking it as well.

I hope this helps. I might repost this message as a new thread as well to help new home-brewers not get discouraged.

Pretty in depth analysis for just exercising self controll :D

just get some brews conditioning while you drink less or buy some brews for a few weeks. Once you get a few conditioned enough to drink you are good to go, just keep brewing up new batches...

You're thinking too much :tank:

I have a hard time staying out of the green beer. I usually like to crack a test bottle after day 7. Which usually leads to a 2nd...

True, purchasing from the store is one option. However, there is something about drinking your own beer that store-bought won't satisfy. I am providing a full-proof plan for conquering what I consider the main aspect of beer making for beginners.

The kit, yeast, fermenting temperature etc, although important, are not as important as the issue of drinking young beer when it comes to taste.

My mate said his cider tasted of eggs. I said, OK I will have it. I waited 3 months and gave him a brew. He said my cider was better than his. I said, "this is yours". :rockin:

I tried a home brew after 2 weeks in the bottle, and wasn't impressed. Got an 18 pack of labatt blue and forgot about it, tried a home brew at week 3 and loved it. I'm now trying to start my own pipeline so I no longer have to go out and buy the LB to forget about my problems!

I just cracked one tonight.....4 days in the bottle. It wasnt good, so I was kind of mad at myself for not being more patient.

Pipeline, invest in extra fermenters, set it and forget it! . Brew in batches. I usually brew multiple batches which wind up sitting in carboys until keg space becomes available. Then I got more kegs. Then more carboys. Then more etc.... Etc... Etc..., And usually I brew in cycles throughout the year just because I like to.

I also have a few friends who I help brew so that way I am not dipping into my supply on those days but it gets made up for on days they help me out so I guess it evens itself out.

I just cracked one tonight.....4 days in the bottle. It wasnt good, so I was kind of mad at myself for not being more patient.

I did the same thing today with a spotted cow clone after 4 days tasted allright,but yes I am an idiot,it is just starting to carb.So I just finished a
starter and will be making another batch friday.

i brew up a storm in 10-15 gallon batches so my pipeline is pretty full with various styles of beer. i might drink a test bottle of a batch but 99% of the time i'm drinking 2 month old beer. recently i realized we've stopped buying beer because we prefer the taste of our own.

buddy and i tasted ours after a week today, coopers canadian blonde with 60/40 dextrose/dme. Didn't taste like much, a little bit of a cider note with very little finish. Carbonation was decent, hoping it'll be delish in another week or 2!

We all start out having to have a few bottles before they are really ready. Eventually you might find yourself actually forgetting that you have batches past time to bottle! (I'm talking to you, Self! Get that IIPA in the keg this weekend!)

I'm only on my second brew but somethign that has worked for me is to bottle a week or so before going away on a trip. That way, if you're away for 2 weeks (or longer) you've only got to resist for the first week!
Then again I bottled my second one 1.5 weeks before I go away and suspect my willpower won't last. Oh well, I'll be away for 2.5 weeks so maybe I'm rewarding myself for leaving it to condition for 4 weeks by having 1 after 10 days!

I like to taste the progression of the bottle conditioning of the beers I brew. I actually kinda like drinking my Tripel recipe a little on the green side. The hint of acetylaldehyde is very complimentary of the recipe. After two weeks of bottle conditioning, it tastes like every other excellent slightly dry Tripel on the market.

Guilty! I am a noob and have been trying one each week since I bottled. Is there any reason to put it in a fridge for a day, an hour, or two days, ten minutes or any length of time before testing it out? Is there some sort of benefit from a longer cold exposure?

Guilty! I am a noob and have been trying one each week since I bottled. Is there any reason to put it in a fridge for a day, an hour, or two days, ten minutes or any length of time before testing it out? Is there some sort of benefit from a longer cold exposure?

Yep. The yeast will fall to the bottom. You'll get a cleaner pour. The yeast has a big effect on the clarity of the beer and can significantly affect the taste. A week in the fridge will clear it completely (maybe less, can't remember)

I have a completely different take on the subject. Drink your beer. Drink it often. Make an effort to age a few bottles and see how it changes over time, but don't go out of your way to age an entire batch of session beer (session beer, not your specialty, oak aged, spiced, infused Christmas/Hanukkah/Birthday/Arbor Day strong Belgio-Namibian barleywine).

Also, improve your process. Chiefly, better pitching rates and temperature control will greatly diminish the amount of time that your beer is "green." Read here.

I have a completely different take on the subject. Drink your beer. Drink it often. Make an effort to age a few bottles and see how it changes over time, but don't go out of your way to age an entire batch of session beer (session beer, not your specialty, oak aged, spiced, infused Christmas/Hanukkah/Birthday/Arbor Day strong Belgio-Namibian barleywine).

Also, improve your process. Chiefly, better pitching rates and temperature control will greatly diminish the amount of time that your beer is "green." Read here.

Second.

To help you wait for proper conditioning, pick up a case or 2 of those empty bottles that sometimes mistakenly get shipped to the liquor store with beer in them.

I find myself passing on the commercial beer at restaurants. (hey, for the cost of 6 of those I could brew up 2 cases that taste much better)

To help you wait for proper conditioning, pick up a case or 2 of those empty bottles that sometimes mistakenly get shipped to the liquor store with beer in them.

I find myself passing on the commercial beer at restaurants. (hey, for the cost of 6 of those I could brew up 2 cases that taste much better)

It is frustrating that a "healthy" trip to the bar can cost as much as a batch of beer...

I'm with Yuri! Don't avoid...embrace the beer and then brew more. The bigger selection you on have hand the less likely you are to choose a green one to drink.

I can't control myself regarding this subject. Like others have said, I take a test at week 1 which leads to a second. Sadly, I have been bottling in 22s as of late hahahah

Good thing the alcohol is pretty much developed at fermentation end and not conditioning! hahaha

To the OP: I have the opposite problem. I brew on a 4 week interval, and I presently have a tower-o-beer sitting in the basement ready to drink. (I have cut down on my consumption to assist in losing weight) Perhaps you need to come over and drink some of mine. :D

Back