Low Gravity Rye with Brett L. - suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
I want to do a very sessionable light ale but pack in tons of flavor. I love brett funk so I thought that would be a good way to add in some extra flavor without having to up the ABV. or go insane on the IBUs.

From what I've read you can expect brett to dry your beer out pretty significantly because it can eat sugars that sacch cannot. And to expect around a F.G. of 1.004ish.

Here's my planned recipe.

4lbs. 2 row
2lbs. Malted Rye
8 oz. 60L Crystal

1 oz. Target hops (11%AA) 20 minutes
1 oz. Willamette hops (5.5%AA) 10 minutes
1 oz. Willamette hops (5.5%AA) 5 minutes
1 oz. Willamette hops (5.5%AA) Flameout

Then I want to pitch both dry notty and the brett lambicus at the same time. I don't want super funk, so I think that giving the nottingham a shot at the sugars should help keep it balanced.

I typically get around 80% efficiency and expect an O.G. of 1.035. The mostly late hop additions should keep the bitterness mellow but with a fair amount of spicy hop character that I think will work with the rye and the brett.

Is 1.004 about what I should expect for the F.G.? Does anyone have any good suggestions? I've done a little brett brewing but not much to call myself an expert, plus I've never used Brettanomyces Lambicus before, so would really appreciate any info. I'm still deciding on what temperature to mash at, as the higher the mashing the more sugar the brett would have to eat and the more funk I would end up with. Any thoughts on that?

I want to do a very sessionable light ale but pack in tons of flavor. I love brett funk so I thought that would be a good way to add in some extra flavor without having to up the ABV. or go insane on the IBUs.

From what I've read you can expect brett to dry your beer out pretty significantly because it can eat sugars that sacch cannot. And to expect around a F.G. of 1.004ish.

Here's my planned recipe.

4lbs. 2 row
2lbs. Malted Rye
8 oz. 60L Crystal

1 oz. Target hops (11%AA) 20 minutes
1 oz. Willamette hops (5.5%AA) 10 minutes
1 oz. Willamette hops (5.5%AA) 5 minutes
1 oz. Willamette hops (5.5%AA) Flameout

Then I want to pitch both dry notty and the brett lambicus at the same time. I don't want super funk, so I think that giving the nottingham a shot at the sugars should help keep it balanced.

I typically get around 80% efficiency and expect an O.G. of 1.035. The mostly late hop additions should keep the bitterness mellow but with a fair amount of spicy hop character that I think will work with the rye and the brett.

Is 1.004 about what I should expect for the F.G.? Does anyone have any good suggestions? I've done a little brett brewing but not much to call myself an expert, plus I've never used Brettanomyces Lambicus before, so would really appreciate any info. I'm still deciding on what temperature to mash at, as the higher the mashing the more sugar the brett would have to eat and the more funk I would end up with. Any thoughts on that?

Your grain bill doesn't have that much specialty malts and that is not a bad thing. One theory on making session beers is that you want to have more specialty malts to give the beer more mouthfeel and flavor (they talked about it on the Session Beers episode of Brewstrong). Do you plan on making a starter for the brett? Because it's population is going to be much lower than a packet of Nottingham. The Nottingham could ferment out the majority of the beer before the brett reproduces enough to become a viable fermenter. You could add some maltodextrin for the brett to eat. Regardless, I would mash high (158-160F) to give the beer more mouthfeel and more maltiness (and possibly give the brett more to eat).

brett in this situation wont superattenuate as it does in sour beers, it needs the bacteria (pedio/etc) to do that, Ive used it as a solo fermenter and its produced a rather malty finished beer, so you might think about using it solo

Also brett L, while it can be funky, tends to be a bit fruitier and can give off a cherry aroma in my experiences with it

As for FG, are you bottling? generally brett used in this way will stabilize in a 4-6wks, 1004 is pretty low 1008-06 is generally where Ive seen these types of beers finish

Okay, I was under the impression that the brett could eat most of those complex sugars on it's own and didn't need lacto or pedio with it.

I think I may build up a starter and pitch it solo. Like I said I just don't want overwhelming funk in such a low gravity beer, which is why I was originally going to pitch it with the nottingham.

And yes I do plan on bottling.

Back