Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

Reaction score
A neighbor just installed a reverse osmosis water filtration system, and I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to try that water for beermaking.

Thanks - Paul

RO (Reverse Osmosis) water is not ideal to use for brewing by itself, but is great to use for "water profiling". By starting with a "basic" water that is void of brewing salts, it allows the brewer great flexibility to add specific salts back as needed to reach the desired profile. I use RO water at a rate of 2/3 added with my regular water (moderately hard) to create suitable water for European lagers, etc...

Note: Be certain the RO filter you use for brewing has a carbon pre-filter to remove organic chemicals & chlorination. ;)

I am super new to brewing and ordered a Mr. Beer "dump in and stir" kind of kit and used RO for my first brew. I am also into salt water aquariums so I have an RO at the house and figured it couldnt hurt.

Most of the "dump and brew" kits contain some salts, and ph contollers.

RO water is stripped of allmost all minerals, It gets everything. I have a home RO system and use it for a few brews. I went back to using just my normal softened water for the most beers.

Back