Bittering with Hallertau

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeCatBrewery

Reaction score
Hi, any thoughts on using Hallertau hops for bittering (1oz 60 min) or would I be better off using an ounce of Perle? Below is the basic schedule...substitute Perle for Hallertau? Im open to ideas!!! Thanks :mug:

6 lbs Pilsner DM
1oz Hallertau 60 min
.5oz Hallertau 15min
.5oz Hallertau 0min (flameout)

Right on...I guess my question is: is it worth using them to bitter? Or is that a poor use of those hops....the AA is in the 3-5 range, I cant remember right now. Anyway thanks for your input.

My default recipe is 1oz 60 min, .5oz 15 min and .5oz at flameout.

Right on...I guess my question is: is it worth using them to bitter? Or is that a poor use of those hops....the AA is in the 3-5 range, I cant remember right now. Anyway thanks for your input.

My default recipe is 1oz 60 min, .5oz 15 min and .5oz at flameout.

But if you're looking for a low level bitterness, you can do that. If you're ok with using 1 oz. as opposed to 1/2 oz. of something else, then go for it.

Another solution that is easy and VERY cost effective is to get a couple ounces of Magnum to use as the bittering in your beers. It takes very little. I would rather use my Hall for flavor/aroma.

Yeah, it depends on what you're trying to brew. If you're aiming for a Munich Helles, I'd go with the 1oz of Hallertau for the bittering hops. If you're aiming for a Pils, you definitely need the Perle or Magnum. With the malt recipe you listed, you could brew either. What do you want it to be?

I only use Hallertau.. but thats because I am not a big fan of hops. Hallertau is less pronounced.

I also do a lot of styles that work with it such as Weisses and Belgians.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to make a german type ale using K-97 yeast. I never really try to replicate a commercial beer. I just do my own thing and only once did I make something undrinkable. And it was BAD!!!

I am going for a German style beer that has good taste and is medium to low in bitterness. Im not trying to make St Pauli Girl or Becks but that is the direction I am trying to go.

I've recently tried to bitter with Perle. It's got a great flavor but as pointed out before, it is also more assertive. Hallertau is milder so I'd go with that if your aiming for medium to low bitterness. It is a noble hop after all.

Couldn't you just use less if you want less assertive or does the type make a significant difference even if ending up with the same IBUs (for bittering)?

You could use less to achieve the same level of IBUs, but hops contribute a bit more than just bitterness. They contribute other subtle or not so subtle flavors that is different between varieties. I don't know what other homebrewers think about this, but I think your beer will generally taste better if you use greater quantities of lower AA hops. It's not to say high alpha hops don't have their place. I probably would consider using them is strong beers like DIPA or barleywines. Many high alpha hops are harsh and a strong malt base is needed to match that kind of flavors. But for normal strength beers, stick with the lower alpha stuff like hallertau, saaz, fuggles, EKG. And just use more of it if you like your beers a bit more bitter.

Cheers!

I have had very good results using 8.7% AA NZ Hallertau for bittering, and 3% AA German Hallertau for flavor/aroma.

My next order has some Magnum, I'm going to try that. If it is as good as I have heard, I'll pick up a pound.

You could use less to achieve the same level of IBUs, but hops contribute a bit more than just bitterness. They contribute other subtle or not so subtle flavors that is different between varieties. I don't know what other homebrewers think about this, but I think your beer will generally taste better if you use greater quantities of lower AA hops. It's not to say high alpha hops don't have their place. I probably would consider using them is strong beers like DIPA or barleywines. Many high alpha hops are harsh and a strong malt base is needed to match that kind of flavors. But for normal strength beers, stick with the lower alpha stuff like hallertau, saaz, fuggles, EKG. And just use more of it if you like your beers a bit more bitter.

Cheers!

old but i agree with you!

Back