iodophor left in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I must have left a significant portion of iodophor-water in my keg when keging an irish red ale recently. It's definitely got an unpleasant flavor and aroma. Is there anything I can do? I know iodophor degrades when exposed to light, but bad things happen to beer under those conditions...

I recall reading an experiment where the brewer deliberately left various amounts of iodophor in the keg/fermenter with no ill effect.
How much do you suspect?
How old is the beer?
I know that an uncovered bucket of iodophor will eventually evaporate, so maybe let the keg sit & vent it every so often, allowing the iodophor to escape.
Or maybe the flavor/aroma is something else entirely?

How much is "significant"? If you left a half-gallon of iodophor in the keg, the you're probably not going to get rid of the flavor and smell.

When I say significant, I mean it ruins the beer. You can't get past the flavor, and the smell is just nausiating.

I've read that article a couple times, very good info. It goes to show that I must have *really* screwed this up.

I've taken the lid off of the keg and left a sanitized rag on top. Perhaps in a couple days it will evaporate/degrade. I'm not sure if it will degrade without light, but I'd rather give this a try before tossing it :eek:

I accidentally released idophor into my primary when my siphon tube was full of it. I estimated it was 1/3 cup, at about 50-100 ppm max, into 5 gallons of beer. There was no off taste in the final product.

I did some research as estimated it was about 1/3 of the iodine daily recommended intake, assuming none evaporated in the primary, at the worse case.

Iodine is needed daily, but too much is hazardous. Try to estimate how much idophore went into the batch before consuming.

It seems I was mistaken about the iodophor. The taste is more plastic-ish. During the mash, my false bottom came undone, so I made the awful mistake of dumping the mash into another bucket, fixing it, then dumping it back. During the next sparge, the same thing happened and I repeated the process. So for anyone who thinks HSA is not a concern, I'll tell you differently!

I've since invested in a heavy duty false bottom: http://homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2054

Has anyone had any luck 'fixing' a HSA problem? I may hang on to this for a couple months and see if anything improves.

Back