Keggle - How high to drill the hole for the valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atkinsr

Reaction score
Top cut, keg semi-polished. weldless fitting, ball-valve, etc. in hand. I don't have the pick-up tube or any false bottom yet. I'm setting these up so as to be completely interchangeable.

Can somebody tell me how high above the skirt weld I should drill the hole for the valve/shank assembly? since I don't have the pick-up tube in hand, I don't know if it should be 1/2", 1/2', or 1/2 mile (though I'm guessing that last answer is wrong!).

Thanks!

it can really be as high as you want as long as the siphon tube reaches the bottom and the tube on the outside of the keggle is lower than the bottom of that siphon tube. Although you'll have a really tough time siphoning if it's at the top of the keg. Mine is a couple inches off the bottom...lower is better...

1025080001ff2.jpg

Thanks for the reply. When you talk about the tube on the outside being lower than the bottom of the pick-up tube, you are talking about the drain tube, not the ball valve outlet, correct? I can't imagine how the valve outlet itself would be lower than the pickup tube.

Thanks again!

Back