How to get metallic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SittingDuck

Reaction score
OK, guys and gals, I have an odd question for you all. My wife actually enjoys the tinny taste you get drinking beer directly from the can (and yes, I know. It's the taste of the can, not the beer). She also likes canned tomatoes. Its her thing.

So, I obviously don't have a canning setup in my house. I'm wondering if there is some way to replicate that taste in a batch for her. Any ideas? Secondary on a handful of sanitized bolts? Just tell her its there and hope the psychological effect works?

Canned San Marzano tomatoes from Italy are wonderful...They make the best sauce...

Sierra Nevada is brewing in cans so it can't be that bad. I don't know how you could achieve a tinny taste. Perhaps. You could simply pour your beer for your loving wife into a Pewter stein..that would be the most simple.

My grandfather gave me a beautiful pewter stein with ornate hops I love it. But won't drink from it.

OldWorld said:
Canned San Marzano tomatoes from Italy are wonderful...They make the best sauce...

Except those usually come in a ceramic lined can, and are about 6 dollars. And now I want pizza margarita.

Octoberfests/Marzons. Older malt. Many Lagers. Many of Lakefront beers. Thats my take on minerally/metallic taste.

I think mineral tends to be associated with metallic. Which could almost be associated with oxidation possibly,that may be a longshot.

Does she know that beer cans are lined to prevent any metals from leeching? Well, regardless, its all in her head, so just tell her you added some special sauce that brewers use to impart metallic taste, and she'll be none the wiser.

Why not use aluminum beer bottles that have crown caps? I am pretty sure Bud products come in these...

I second the mineral deficiency theory. Does she like paint chips? Maybe you can just brew with those.

I'm almost positive those are twist off...

Some may be twist-off but I do believe the Bud stuff is crown caps. Even if they are twist-off tops you can use a bench capper with crown caps so I have read here on HBT. IMO this is going to be a fast and quick solution that would at least give a decent placebo effect/flavor.

I second the mineral deficiency theory. Does she like paint chips? Maybe you can just brew with those.

I like it. We can secondary on mercury in a lead-lined bucket, call it Mad Hatter Ale. I won't serve it to my wife, but I can think of a few people who might need a bottle or two...

Does she know that beer cans are lined to prevent any metals from leeching?

Yeah, but when you take a pull straight from the can, you still get the smell/taste of the can itself in your face.

The aluminum bottle idea is good, but I also thought those were twist off, and wide-mouthed to boot. I could be wrong, though, I really have very little experience with those bottles. I will have to check a few out.

I've gotten a metallic taste from a cream ale I made, but I don't know where it came from. It's the only batch I've made with flaked corn, but I don't know why that would cause a metallic taste. I know it wasn't the bottle caps, but that can be an option to add the taste. Soak the bottle caps in water or santizing solution, cap the bottles without drying, then have her drink from the bottle.

Back