Ice Storm! Low Beer Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingHippo

Part Time Brewer
Reaction score
Just lost power and heat for 4 days thanks to this lovely ice storm,Which leaves me questioning. "What will become of my liquid babies"?
A choc stout in secondary
Dead guy clone eight days into ferment
My temps got as low as 38, Are my yeastie boys dead ?
Please help
thanks -Bryan:confused:

They are probably not dead, just dorment. Once you get power back and temps become warmer, they should become active once again.

Did you hook up a battery to your computer?

When things warm up, give the dead guy a swirl to get the yeast back in suspension and the yeast should get back to work. If that doesn't do it, get some Nottingham or US-05 dry and pitch that. Either should be clean enough to finish of the fermentation.

The chocolate stout should be fine. You've crash cooled. There should be plenty of viable yeast left to bottle condition. :D

Your babies are fine.The choc stout should have cleared even more with what amounted to a slow cold crash and the dead guy should be fine. You will need to warm everything up to get them carbed after bottling. I do believe your OK

Thanks Alot Guys
I will sleep well tonight knowing my brew are gonna be OK!
(& having heat should also help out)

Back