Wort Tastes a bit Watery. Any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBetz

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pretty standard porter recipe. It's been in the primary for exactly a week. I decided to take a hydrometer reading and everything seems to be going great on that front.

However, the color is very light. more of an amber color than a nice dark porter. It also had the nice roasty finish of a porter but the front end was thin and watery.

Will this improve in the secondary? If not, what is the likely cause? Does it matter that my sample was from the top of the wart?

what was your recipe? Are you brewing all grain (mash temp etc?) or extract or partial mash....We all need to know those facts to help you. Secondary will clear the beer and round out some flavors because of the time its sitting but your not going to get more body from it. You can try boiling some malodextrine in a small amount of water and adding it after it cools but id like to know more about your recipe first before suggesting anything....

It's an extract recipe with some specialty grains. I added pleanty of flaked barley specificaly to get a good body but it dosne't seem to have worked.

More importantly my LHBS was out of Special B malt so I had to replace it with an 80L English Crystal. I though this would effect the flavor more than the body though.

First, your beer may appear lighter than it is in that narrow gravity sample tube. Also, you can never judge a brew after one week in primary. It will change significantly over the next month or two.

The entire recipe plus your original gravity would help immensely.

Back