APA Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I finally made it to the LHBS, so with any luck I'll be pulling a batch together this weekend. I was thinking of doing a straight forward APA, but it would be good to get some imput. I've been doing 2.5 gallon batches as of late so I can refine my skills.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
85% 3 0 Light Dry Malt Extract
7% 0 4 American Crystal 40L
7% 0 4 Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt

Batch size: 2.5 gallons

Original Gravity

1.059 (1.053 to 1.062)
Final Gravity
1.016 (1.014 to 1.017)
Color
9° SRM
(Gold to Copper)

time oz variety form aa
60 0.5 Centennial leaf 10.5
15 0.5 Amarillo pellet 8.0
0-5 0.5 Amarillo leaf 7.0

Avg boil volume: 3.0 gallons

Bitterness - 5.2 HBU, 51.1 IBU

BU:GU - 0.86

Yeast: S-05

How's it look? Anything you'd change?

Use the other 0.5 oz of centennial for dry hopping (assuming you have 1oz total).

I like a little Munich or victory malt in my APAs, gives them a bit of non-sweet malt flavor to counter the hops. But, it is fine without.

Use the other 0.5 oz of centennial for dry hopping (assuming you have 1oz total).

I like a little Munich or victory malt in my APAs, gives them a bit of non-sweet malt flavor to counter the hops. But, it is fine without.

Yeah I was debating dry hopping... If I didn't use it now I'd use it in the next batch, but it may be worth using it here.

This is what I have to work with for this batch:

1 oz. Centennial Leaf 10.5 AAU
1 oz. Amarillo Pellets 8.0 AAU
0.5 oz. Amarillo Leaf (from my last batch - didn't jot down the AA's)

1lb Carapils
1lb Crystal 40L

4lbs Light DME

Yeah I was debating dry hopping... If I didn't use it now I'd use it in the next batch, but it may be worth using it here.

This is what I have to work with for this batch:

1 oz. Centennial Leaf 10.5 AAU
1 oz. Amarillo Pellets 8.0 AAU
0.5 oz. Amarillo Leaf (from my last batch - didn't jot down the AA's)

1lb Carapils
1lb Crystal 40L

4lbs Light DME

I would go with all the pellet Amarillo in the boil and then use the other Amarillo or Centennial to dry hop. (Personally I would go with Amarillo to keep with the theme). But you can always wait and taste it to see if you think you even need to dry hop it.

Back