MORIS: MHBC Oaked Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I was up tending the smoker for a couple boston butts at 2am, figured I'd brew up some RIS wort while I was at it. 1.092, took forever to boil down, but such is life. Not like I had anything else to do.

moris.jpg

Here's that beautiful, viscous wort. Motor oil, anyone?

morishyd.jpg

And the real reason I arose at 2am: redbud-smoked boston butt:

bbqpork.jpg

If you're curious...

14 lbs 2-row
1 lb Munich 10L
1.5 lbs Roasted Barley
1 lb Special B
1/2 lb Caramunich
6oz Chocolate
5oz 90L Crystal
4oz Flaked Barley

MH - 2oz Mt. Hood Plugs
60m - 2.5 oz Galena
10m - 2.5oz Cascade
1m - 2oz Styrian Goldings

Racked onto a Notty cake from a 1.047og Special Bitter. It's already got a 1" krausen and a bubble per second. I've got the blowoff tube rigged since it's almost certainly gonna kasplode. :cross: I'm probably going to add an ounce of oak chips to the secondary for a week. Nothing too crazy, just a touch of oakiness.

I was up tending the smoker for a couple boston butts at 2am, figured I'd brew up some RIS wort while I was at it. 1.092, took forever to boil down, but such is life. Not like I had anything else to do.

moris.jpg

Here's that beautiful, viscous wort. Motor oil, anyone?

morishyd.jpg

And the real reason I arose at 2am: redbud-smoked boston butt:

bbqpork.jpg

If you're curious...

14 lbs 2-row
1 lb Munich 10L
1.5 lbs Roasted Barley
1 lb Special B
1/2 lb Caramunich
6oz Chocolate
5oz 90L Crystal
4oz Flaked Barley

MH - 2oz Mt. Hood Plugs
60m - 2.5 oz Galena
10m - 2.5oz Cascade
1m - 2oz Styrian Goldings

Racked onto a Notty cake from a 1.047og Special Bitter. It's already got a 1" krausen and a bubble per second. I've got the blowoff tube rigged since it's almost certainly gonna kasplode. :cross: I'm probably going to add an ounce of oak chips to the secondary for a week. Nothing too crazy, just a touch of oakiness.

how did it end up? Im curious as to brew my own RIS seeing as I have a yeast cake of US-05 oak cubes, and some extra roasted barley?

how did it end up? Im curious as to brew my own RIS seeing as I have a yeast cake of US-05 oak cubes, and some extra roasted barley?

This turned out to be a great brew. I wouldn't leave it on the oak for more than 10 days, though, or it will pick up that oaky astringency.

Latest posts

Back