TSP & Bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaazmar

Reaction score
I have an old homebrew book that recommends soaking bottles in a TSP/Bleach combo for 24-48 hours prior to bottling. I also read somewhere else that you should never use TSP on glass, but it doesn't say why! Anyone have any bad experiences with TSP? Does it maybe degrade the glass over time? So far 4 batches in the bottles are fine, just curious.

J
:confused:

TSP is nasty. I used it on my bottles till I realized that plain water cleans them just as well prior to storage.

Immediately prior to bottling, I give my clean bottles a rinse with some StarSan. No problems yet!

TSP and bleach is nasty stuff, but it will clean anything. But be careful -- it will pit glass and stainless steel if left long enough.

I use it only when I REALLY need to clean something grungy. Otherwise, oxyclean for everything else (almost as good, much safer on your equipment, and better for the environment).

Back