Headed East; Beer Recommendations please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You also have to realize you are right smack in the middle of the Bible Belt. While there is not much competition, there is not that much demand either.

Wait so are you looking to open shop out here? I can tell you from having lived in various places all along this coast, the east is thirsty. Make a kick a$& west coast IPA that we all can actually get and you'll do just fine.

I lived in AL for a few years and now Atlanta and laws def make things tough in the bible belt. There is demand tough. AL has changed its laws dramatically (except friggin home brewing) in the past few years and the state has exploded. Lots of new breweries c/w full taprooms but being new, they don't distribute far.

Wait so are you looking to open shop out here? I can tell you from having lived in various places all along this coast, the east is thirsty. Make a kick a$& west coast IPA that we all can actually get and you'll do just fine.

I wish. Just wanted to find other East Coast and Midwest beers that are friendly to my palate. I think my two favorite East of the rocky beers are Hopsecutioner and Two hearted.

ingchr1 said:
Plenty of very good IPAs on the east coast. The 2XIPA, Sixpoint Resin, Otter Creek Black IPA, Middle Ages Impaled IPA and Smuttynose IPA to name a few.

I disliked smutty. Too dank for me

There are plenty of good breweries and beer stores with good selections in NC. The problem is none of them are in Jacksonville. You are in a military town so most of those guys just drink Miller Lite, I used to be one of them.

I live just outside Raleigh and there are 11 breweries and 5 craft beer stores within an hours drive (I live out the country). For hoppy beers try Death By Hops from Olde Hickory or Seeing Double from Foothills. For the best selections of beer if you make it up to the Triangle area you can try The Beer Dispensary, Tasty Beverage, Bottle Revolution, Sam's Quik Stop (biggest selection), or Triangle Wine (not Total Wine).

Thanks guys, if I find some time I might compile all of the suggestions so future hop heads will have a nice long list of beers to look for on the shelves.

I used to live on 5th street in Surf City. You are correct, where you are is a horrible location for a craft beer lover. Forget a grocery store or gas station. Best bet is Swing Bridge beer and wine, but they are limited and winter is slow for then. They have a lot better turn over in the summer months as the tourist roll in. Im sure by now Wilmington has a decent store (been gone a few years).

Your in the south now, hell the state im living in just allowed sunday alcohol sales bout a year ago. Most are also still rooted in the three tier system. Most do not know anything about beer that is not bud light and do not care to ( with a few exceptions in various pockets). Take a weekend trip to Asheville. It will be the closest city in regards to what you are use to back on the left coast.

Check out Front Street Brewery in Wilmington for a brew pub. They always had solid beer and the food is on point. ( I recommend the black and blue burger). There are a few bars near it that have good craft selection. One of witch has/had the name copper in it. (Can't quite quite recall the name)

Check out The Thai Grille in Surf City, Ray does a good job of keeping a few good beers. If you go in the summer a very gorgeous blond and good friend of mine, Amanda will be working the bar, she is very plugged into craft beer and can give you more updated info.

I will agree that from what i gave tasted most East Coast IPA is more balanced and less punch in the mouth hops than the West Coast.

Last but not least if you do surf, go to the 6th street access in Surf City, there used to be a pier there. There is still underwater structure so the surf is slightly better, and less crowded. Get in with the locals during the winter time and they will take care of you in the summer. I really wish I could get back there, many fond memories.

Last but not least if you do surf, go to the 6th street access in Surf City, there used to be a pier there. There is still underwater structure so the surf is slightly better, and less crowded. Get in with the locals during the winter time and they will take care of you in the summer. I really wish I could get back there, many fond memories.

The beach was pretty awesome. Very cool. Nope don't surf; Mountain bike and Motorbikes.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Get you hands on some Ommegang from Cooperstown NY. They have a excellent line of Belgian style ales that are fantastic. Brooklyn Brewery also has a great line up especially their Brooklyn Blast.

HopLife said:
Thanks guys, if I find some time I might compile all of the suggestions so future hop heads will have a nice long list of beers to look for on the shelves.

Im not sure where exactly you were at in NC but I wouldn't just generalize and say "the east doesn't have this..." Bc where I am from in Philly the things you experienced wouldn't fly. Philly happens to be on the east coast and our beer selection and local beer can rival any.

Im not sure where exactly you were at in NC but I wouldn't just generalize and say "the east doesn't have this..." Bc where I am from in Philly the things you experienced wouldn't fly. Philly happens to be on the east coast and our beer selection and local beer can rival any.

You should come visit Oregon. When I visited Philadelphia I was homesick for all the options. Iron Mountain and Victory were OK, though. The Portland area alone has over 40 breweries. I would like to see Philly beer week when I can to compare more.

Latest posts

Back