Brand New

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdseiverth

Reaction score
So, I am going to start my first brew soon. I have been reading up a bit on the forums to try to get some knowledge first. I have been reading that the second stage fermentation is not really necessary. So my question is my kit has both a fermentation bucket and a glass carboy, if I am only going to do the one stage fermentation do I use the carboy or the bucket. I am guessing the carboy but not quite sure. Also if I do use the carboy, what is the best way to stir in the priming sugar in the carboy? BTW I am brewing a Weitzenbier kit if that helps any.

If the carboy is 5 gallons use the bucket if it is 6 then use either.You don't want to put priming sugar in the carboy.After fermentation transfer to bottling bucket with priming sugar in it then proceed to bottle.

Use the bucket for primary as it is likely 6.5 gallons vice 5 gallons for the carboy. You need the larger volume to account for yeast activity

I would just use the bucket. They usually have more headspace and are much easier to clean since you can fit your hands in there. It also helps keep down the amount of "is my beer infected/ruined" threads since you can't really be as frightened by the sight of yeast rafts, krausen, break material, etc. Additionally it helps keep UV damage down.

As for yeast... When I use dry yeast, I just sprinkle on the surface and let it sink on its own. It will find the sugars and do its job. It may just take an hour or so more to start.

Latest posts

Back