cold crashing for too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewsClues

Reaction score
I put my beer in a very cold refrigerator and its been in there several days its probably close to freezing. Will this kill my yeast and make me unable to bottle condition?

No, but you can add a gram or two of any dry yeast to the bottling bucket if you want. I just sprinkle it in as it racks then stir it well. If you have unhealthy yeast it really helps. Best of all it gives consistent results.

I would but getting yeast today means me driving way out of my way so I guess ill just hope I have enough healthy little yeasties to pressurize

No, but you can add a gram or two of any dry yeast to the bottling bucket if you want. I just sprinkle it in as it racks then stir it well. If you have unhealthy yeast it really helps. Best of all it gives consistent results.

You're no fun! you should have made him play brewsclues to figure it out.

Haha well I just bottled these jewels up, the only prob. I have so far is the beer is super light due to low mash temps. I need to dial in my efficiency (it took me about 5min. To get that spelling right. I'm really hoping its just really light tasting beer rather than watery, but maybe the carbonation will aid in that. As of right now its kinda watery though.

That "prob." Was not the end of the sentence, it was an abbreviation for problem. With that in mind it should make sense.

A low mash temperature promotes greater enzymatic reduction of sugars, making for a more fermentable - and possibly "thin" feeling - beer. It's not not extracting enough sugars, it's extracting too much.

Also, carbonation helps mouthfeel. Taste it again after it carbs up and isn't so green.

Cheers,

Bob

Well yeah, if we're talking below 145F. Doesn't matter how long you leave it in that case. But if we're talking 148-9F, that's a different story.

Cheers,

Bob

See that's the thing it was at 145 for about 15 min then 150 for 45min. So I just hope its not too light ya kno? I appreciate this info BTW this is something that has been bugging me. I think this is gunna be a good beer to give to my Gf and her friends!

That's the first time I've ever heard of that. Is it kind of like the potential of the grains? All I can tell u is that I used 5lbs wheat and 5lbs pils... I could probably get the specs. On it by calling the lhbs.

Latest posts

Back