Hefeweizen secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabernak

Reaction score
I have a Hefe bubbling away in my primary and can't figure out if it needs to be put into the secondary before I bottle it. I did some obligatory google and forum searches, but didn't find any definitive answers. I've read that a Hefe doesn't NEED a secondary, but would it have any appreciable benefit in one? I don't mind the extra time it would take, but I don't want to waste my time either. Thanks in advance!

tabernak said:
I have a Hefe bubbling away in my primary and can't figure out if it needs to be put into the secondary before I bottle it. I did some obligatory google and forum searches, but didn't find any definitive answers. I've read that a Hefe doesn't NEED a secondary, but would it have any appreciable benefit in one? I don't mind the extra time it would take, but I don't want to waste my time either. Thanks in advance!

Usually you dont secondary a hefe because it is supposed to be cloudy. You can transfer if you want nothing lost nothing gained. Also you could leave it in the primary for an extra 7 days which Is what I do to give the yeast ample time to clean up after themselves.

In general, HWs do not need to be racked to a secondary for the reasons mentioned already...desired cloudiness.

I've been drinking HWs since my first tour in Germany in Feb 1975.

I secondary my HWs even though I prefer them cloudy.

The reason I do one is because with most of the yeast dropped out of suspension I can control how much/little yeast to put back into suspension when I rack to the bottling bucket or keg.

With the reduced yeast in suspension the brew is not as bitter as normal HWs. :D

The yeast will drop out in a day or two.

i was thinking about the same thing. how long do you guys age your hefe's? i was planning on primary for 12-14 days then strait to the keg for a couple of weeks.

A few of us, me included, have kegged at 10 days.

I have a few kegs that are over 6 months old and even more that will be that old when I tap them this summer. ;)

I've been through Cortez on the way to 4 Corners. Nice looking town. :D

it's small town living but the surrounding area is awesome. hell, those polygamous people in texas bought property 16 miles from here in mancos colorado.

tabernak said:

When I am uncertain, I err on the side of safety, and give a beer a week in secondary. As a last step, I usually cold crash it at least 10F to really settle it. With a hazy beer like a Hefe, the cold crash may not be needed.
Do a gravity when you rack to secondary, then another in a week. If it is stable, you're done. The rest of the aging can be done in the bottle, IMHO.

Hammer said:
When I am uncertain, I err on the side of safety, and give a beer a week in secondary. As a last step, I usually cold crash it at least 10F to really settle it. With a hazy beer like a Hefe, the cold crash may not be needed.
Do a gravity when you rack to secondary, then another in a week. If it is stable, you're done. The rest of the aging can be done in the bottle, IMHO.
That's interesting because I do the exact opposite. When I am unsure, I leave it in the primary and don't rack it. Why expose your beer to oxygen and possible contamination when you aren't sure whether it will really benefit from time in the secondary?

If you are kegging anyways, definitely don't do the secondary. You can treat the keg as a secondary vessel if you like. But for a hefe, I think they taste best with 3 weeks on the primary, 1 - 2 weeks in the keg. Hefes and wits just don't seem to stand up to time as well as other brews.

I posted some questions about my hefes I brewed last fall on the techniques forum and had a similiar question. I did not secondary my hefe but I think I will secondary my next one because i think the bottles have too much yeast in them. If you aggressively swirl up the yeast it is too strong tasting. With just a half hearted swirl, the beer is much closer to the Paulaner that I was shooting for.

I agree w/ Homebrewer 99

Regards,
Al

Back