Primary to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making hard cider and I'm not sure how to tell when the best time to rack is. I have 3 batches of 5 gallons in the works. The must has been fermenting since December 24th. I assume I should do it soon. I also plan on adding oak chips for flavoring. Is this done when fermentation is complete or could it be done when the must goes in to the secondary? Thanks

You should be ready to rack anytime. As for oak, Ive never used it in cider, but if its like mead, probably just leave it in secondary for a week, maybe two

It wouldnt hurt to wait and rack in a couple weeks, you could probably get away with leaving it in primary if you dont need the space.

I have only oaked one beer and that was right away in primary, so as far as that goes im not sure.

I keep my ciders and apfelweins in the primary for 2 months, the secondary for 4 months, then bulk-age for at least one year - YMMV.

- GL63

I racked my first cider ever on Saturday after letting it sit in the carboy for 2+ months... We tasted a sample and it was very yummy already - i can only imagine what another few months of aging will do to improve it's flavor.

IDK... 2 months on the cake may be a little excessive. I wonder if autolysis it setting in after that long on the cake?? After 30 days my cider batches are crystal clear and completely done. IDK if there is a benefit in keeping the cider on the cake after that point. Bottle/keg it, and let it fit around for a few months.

I pressed 30 gallons at my home last October. As in years past, I'm a bit slow to rack. This year was no different, I finally racked it all last eve.

I'd like to rack at 6 weeks but at 2 and 3 months in the Primary I've found no problem.

To also chime in on your other questions, a correct hydrometer reading (under 1.000) would be one way or simply wait for the bubbling to come to crawl (once every minute).

Latest posts

Back