Need help with a "different" recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
Can one of you with software (or just experience) help me adjust this to a 5G batch?

I had this luscious beer last month and the brewmaster was kind enough to give me the following pointers:

"The grain bill was mostly Maris Otter with a bit of crystal, nothing too unusual there, around 1070 OG. And the hops were kept fairly low in the mix with only about 25 IBUs, all Styrian Goldings. As for the juice, I bought 100 pounds of syrah grapes, which yielded about 6 gallons of pressed juice and added it to the fermenter 3 days after brewing. So, not too much...6 gallons in a 200 gallon batch. I put about a pound each of rosebuds, mauve flowers, and lavender into the kettle at the end, along with a couple of ounces of a spice blend that was primarily a type of pepper. The whole thing was fermented with a Belgian abbey yeast strain."

I'm guessing Wyeast 3787 or maybe 3463.
No idea what a mauve flower is or where to get one, so that may be out.

I'd appreciate any help, SWMBO really wants some more!

Here is what I came up with in BeerSmith (which you can download and trial for 3 weeks) for a 5 gallon batch.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11,50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3,0 SRM) Grain 93,88 %
0,50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60,0 SRM) Grain 4,08 %
0,25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40,0 SRM) Grain 2,04 %
1,00 oz Styrian Goldings [4,20 %] (50 min) Hops 16,7 IBU
1,00 oz Styrian Goldings [4,20 %] (25 min) Hops 7,2 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1,069 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1,010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1,005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6,73 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0,65 %
Bitterness: 23,9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 9,5 SRM Color: Color

This is supposing you're doing all grain. If not, you could do steep and extract by replacing all but 0.5lb of Marris Otter for the appropriate amount of extract. As for the appropriate color, you can figure that out by adjusting amounts.

Fenster said:
"The grain bill was mostly Maris Otter with a bit of crystal, nothing too unusual there, around 1070 OG. And the hops were kept fairly low in the mix with only about 25 IBUs, all Styrian Goldings. As for the juice, I bought 100 pounds of syrah grapes, which yielded about 6 gallons of pressed juice and added it to the fermenter 3 days after brewing. So, not too much...6 gallons in a 200 gallon batch. I put about a pound each of rosebuds, mauve flowers, and lavender into the kettle at the end, along with a couple of ounces of a spice blend that was primarily a type of pepper. The whole thing was fermented with a Belgian abbey yeast strain."

Perhaps I'm confused...or just too new here, but
WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS MAKE?
Is it beer?
Is it wine?
Is it soup?
NO SOUP FOR YOU!
j/k seriously though what is this whole ensemble about?

^^^It makes the sweet nectar of the gods.
More importantly, it makes something DIFFERENT.

This was originally designed as a "nuptual ale" for a friend of the brewmaster.
As for taste, it is smooth, delicious, and not what I originally thought it would be.

It's not like when you were a kid and filled your soda cup with a little from each tap to make the frankensoda we all enjoyed so much when we were 10.

The tastes combine instead of clashing. It is sublime.

I've got three small batches(~1+ gal each) of grape/wine beer going now, two are 'sour' with red wine grapes, and the other is a tripel with a white wine grape. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out, good luck. I'll post my results when they're done.

TerapinChef said:
Perhaps I'm confused...or just too new here, but
WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS MAKE?
Is it beer?
Is it wine?
Is it soup?
NO SOUP FOR YOU!
j/k seriously though what is this whole ensemble about?
A similar commercial beer you may want to try out to see what its like is Midas Touch from Dogfish Head. That beer is made with grape concentrate, honey and saffron. Supposedly a recreation of the brew served to King Midas.

This beer sounds even more complex than the DFH example.

Craig

Back