What to do with sanke spears/valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations on what to do with several (ok, 15) sanke keg spears/valves of assorted lengths? I don’t want to toss them, but I don’t want them to just sit in a box either.

I’ve already thought about trying to weld some together, and might do that. Only thing is, the best I could do is use silver solder (or maybe braze) them. I don’t have an electric welder and really don’t want to get one (would require getting a new line run, from the breaker box, to power it) right now. I’ve also thought about heating up the tube end and mashing it flat then attaching more metal to make a mash paddle, which I still might do too.

Suggestions people??

Don't smash the end. Cut a slot in it and then get a small piece of stainless, drill some holes in it and slide it in the slot. I welded mine but you could always drill it and bolt the paddle to the handle with stainless bolts.

image-3470164744.jpg

ajm163 said:
Tap Handles???

Thought of that before... Would be a bit of work to get the end adapted down to the right size. I might visit that if I get a mini lathe. I would have to check to make sure I could still use the 575SS faucets with the 'creamer' function with one. Otherwise, it would be limited to just my 525SS faucet.

Don't smash the end. Cut a slot in it and then get a small piece of stainless, drill some holes in it and slide it in the slot. I welded mine but you could always drill it and bolt the paddle to the handle with stainless bolts.

Thing is, I really like the mash paddle I've been using (see them in my 'tar)... I could convert them for other people though. Hmmmmmm... I think I would leave the top part on the tube though. Gives you something larger to grab onto (the 'knob' so to say :eek:)... Might grind off any parts that could be hurtful though.

I've got one to use as a pivot pin for my sankey tippy dump MLT. Otherwise, stainless blow guns?

Nice...

I thought about filling one with led shot and plugging the end and having it for self defense. :eek: Really be able to WHANG someone with that. :rockin: :cross:

Seriously though, if you want fun, get a piece of 1/2" emt and make a blow gun out of it. You'll figure out the dart...a 16d nail is a good start. I don't want to be responsible for any more deaths so I'll leave it to you.;)

Meh... If I want to become silent death (I can't "pass gas" quiet enough to qualify there) I'll simply purchase a silencer (legally) for my 1911 clone (hi capacity) and go at it there. :D When get an AR15/M4, have that fitted with one. :eek:

Meh... If I want to become silent death (I can't "pass gas" quiet enough to qualify there) I'll simply purchase a silencer (legally) for my 1911 clone (hi capacity) and go at it there. :D When get an AR15/M4, have that fitted with one. :eek:

I'll shoot you right in the neck with a poisoned 16d before you even reach for your silencer;) actually, I won't mess with you!

I like your mash paddles but discussing your "load" is right out! Maybe, someday, we'll battle to the death. I really hope we'll just get drunk together instead. Sorry for my spelling. I'm juggling my phone and shotgun while writing this;)

I like your mash paddles but discussing your "load" is right out! Maybe, someday, we'll battle to the death. I really hope we'll just get drunk together instead. Sorry for my spelling. I'm juggling my phone and shotgun while writing this;)

Do I even want to ask why you're juggling your phone and shotgun?? :eek:

Your your buttocks over to this area and we can at least drink mass quantities of homebrew (beer and mead). If you're in the area circa 2015, my BIG mead could be ready to sample. Need to think of a really good name for it. Other than My Insanity... :D

At the risk of pulling this thread back from the brink. :)

I used a spear for sight glass protection.

7553-6693.jpg
7552-6692.jpg

Your your buttocks over to this area and we can at least drink mass quantities of homebrew (beer and mead). If you're in the area circa 2015, my BIG mead could be ready to sample. Need to think of a really good name for it. Other than My Insanity... :D

It's ok. I'm sober now. I WILL drink beer and mead with you. Just have to get my buttocks over there...

Hey! They're called SPEARS right?.....

They're too short to be decent spears though. Unless you used them to make the spear heads. I do have a large metal block (about 75-100#) that also doubles as an anvil. :D With my torch, I shouldn't have too hard of a time heating the metal up. Then it's a matter of hammering it into shape. :eek:

The keggle isn't even as shiny as I would have liked it to be. I have two more 'virgin' kegs that I can polish up next. If I can get one of them to the level I'm happy with, I'll convert it into my new boil keggle. One of the better ways to get your keg nice and shiny is to polish it up before you start cutting and drilling it. Once you cut and drill it, it's a pain around those areas. The buffing pads, and finishing pads, will snag on the edges and sling compound into the keggle. Not too hard to clean out, but why do that if you don't have to?? :D

If you get out here sooner, you could be in time to have some of my 2010 mead. Only 18%. :D Got to bottle my 14% maple and check on the 14% traditional (both of those from just over a year ago now). In a year my Mocha Madness II mead should be going to bottles (also started last December). That one is only 21%. Got a 16% traditional I started about 1-1/2 months ago, should be in bottles in 12-14 months.

If you don't juggle your shotgun and your phone you could spill your beer:mug:

Or maybe use fire to join a few together and make a respectable spear? I think we're solving this problem.

Exactly why my kegs are "natural " finish. I'm not taking all that crap apart now to polish it. I may start over though...

I can't see a downside to a trip to NH anymore. Not that I ever did but you make it sound awesome;)

Or maybe use fire to join a few together and make a respectable spear? I think we're solving this problem.

Exactly why my kegs are "natural " finish. I'm not taking all that crap apart now to polish it. I may start over though...

I can't see a downside to a trip to NH anymore. Not that I ever did but you make it sound awesome;)

Yeah... Plus it's legal to open carry. :rockin: Carry concealed, you need a license/permit, in the open, nope... :D Just don't wait too long or you could be making the trek to Maine. :rockin:

Yeah... Plus it's legal to open carry. :rockin: Carry concealed, you need a license/permit, in the open, nope... :D Just don't wait too long or you could be making the trek to Maine. :rockin:

Open carry spears right? I mean that IS the topic..

A 10 foot blow gun is difficult to conceal but if you can pull it off, I believe it's legal in the UP;)

And that, ladies and germs, is how 'uncle Mike' shot his own foot off, then winged Bubba. :eek: Once they removed the shotgun from where Bubba rammed it, it took a few months before Mike could walk right. :eek: :eek:
You leave what happened with Bubba out of this and it wasn't just the accidental shooting.. He was mad about what happened with his sister cousin..

You leave what happened with Bubba out of this and it wasn't just the accidental shooting.. He was mad about what happened with his sister cousin..

Convert them into "Bubba Bat's"??

I think we are right back to where you wanted this to end up. So what's your design? I want some testing data if you expect me to invest;)

I think we are right back to where you wanted this to end up. So what's your design? I want some testing data if you expect me to invest;)

You volunteering to be a 'test subject'?? :D I actually will have to check, but I might have some bird shot available (in the safe at my mother's place). Could weld a but into the end of the tube, have a plug for it, and then fill it up. :D Or weld up a washer, to a nut (the washer OD would need to be the tubing ID) with some expansion type fittings so that you send it down the tube, then tighten it up when it hits the shot. That way you can adjust the 'load' in it. :eek: Of course, the valve end of the thing is already of decent heft, so no extra weight may be needed...

I think we need some watermelons to test it on.

6-16%20mail%20call13.jpg

I'm not sure I can take you seriously if your MOM has all your bird shot. I think when I turned 12 even mom was not aware of my arsenal. That dude in the pic is using a sword. Deadly but unimpressive. We're after an exploding melon!

I'm not sure I can take you seriously if your MOM has all your bird shot. I think when I turned 12 even mom was not aware of my arsenal. That dude in the pic is using a sword. Deadly but unimpressive. We're after an exploding melon!

I didn't have room to take the LARGE gun safe to where I lived before (1 bedroom apartment, maybe 500 square feet). Now that I have a house, I want ALL my stuff here... I've been moving my tools over, and now I'm looking to get my guns, and related, things here too. That includes the safe and most of it's contents. After all, I inherited all that from my father. She doesn't want it there, and my sister wouldn't have a clue what to do with it all.

I couldn't find a blunt weapon striking a melon. Got him shooting them (it's his thing after all), but that's just not the same. :D

Might have to see how a pair of spears welded together at the tube ends works for that. Reach would be decent, good weight on either end too. :D Go all "Darth Maul" on the melons... lol

I don't know what to say about bubba and Darth Maul, but I do have a question about sanke spears. I'm assuming that these spears are full size for 1/2 bbl kegs? Can they be cut down to fit a 1/6 bbl keg?

Back