Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems pretty good pay for someone with a history or humanities degree. But it's in DC, so the cost of living is a lot higher.

You're right, it all depends on the locale. Where I live--southwestern Wisconsin--that's a pretty good salary. But I remember back in 1988 I was offered a job at the USDA in DC. I would get a 20 percent raise (from $30k to $36k) if I took the job. I looked at cost of living and realized that it would be a huge cut despite the increase in dollars--the cost of living was SO MUCH HIGHER than where I was, it would mean I'd never be able to buy a home, never do much more than scrimp and struggle.

I didn't take the job.

If you put that salary into many southern states, many midwestern states, it's a pretty decent compensation package. But not in DC.

That seems pretty good pay for someone with a history or humanities degree. But it's in DC, so the cost of living is a lot higher.

Like my buddy who works in Manhattan and brags about how he made 90K right out of school. I make a lot less than that, but I live in NH and commute to Boston. I think my salary gets me a lot further.

That wage wouldn't come near the cost of living around here these days. Too many rich people in the development across Abbe from me with Jags & Ferrari's. besides there being a lot of white collar people here in general. And my pension's about $1,500 below what I was earning in middle management at Ford. A college degree should pay more than that, seems to me? You can make more than that around here as a blue collar.

It depends on what kind of white collar. Management, finance, sales, etc. pay well. Academics, humanities, arts, etc. less so.

A good blue collar job could easily pay more.

Ah. So being a historian of this sort is a lower paying classification, like a pipefitter at Ford Versus an electrician? I'd love to get this job! It pays a hair more than my pension, which I'd still be getting. So I'd be up to like $132K+!

It looks like it is similar to a teacher salary in the area, although maybe not an early career teacher.

wait a minute, you could be this beer historian and live out of your van, since they need you to be willing to travel, so why buy a house you won't be using. unless you one of those pesky "family" things.

the only problem is when you want to drink your beer.

rogue-sriracha-hot-stout-set.jpg
I can't decide if this is awful or awesome.

I think I'm gonna go with 'yes'.

At a bar last night, ask what's on tap. First of all he doesn't mention at least three of them that I could see(the only had about 7 taps, not hard to remember).

Then he refers to a local brewery's summer seasonal as a "shandy". I really hope no one ordered it on that description. It's a very hoppy pale ale.

Curse leinenkugel and Sam for making everyone think "summer" means lemon.

This beer isn't even called summer...its Tye Dyed. It's just their seasonal.

One thing I found interesting, my son as well, with chili beers is that you get more heat & chili flavor when the dregs in the bottle are stirred up & poured. Otherwise, the crystal clear pour of our Hellfire IIPA wasn't as hot or flavorful.:confused:

I haven't actually had it (that was just a random Google pic), but chili beers usually don't do it for me, so I'll probably pass.

The only one I've ever had that I liked was Ghost Face Killah. The worst was one by a local brewery, it smelled and tasted like green peppers (which I hate). No heat at all.

5 Rabbits makes a good one called 5 Vultures. It has very gentle heat that begins to accumulate by the end of the glass. Inspired by Oaxacan chocolate, I think.

The only one I've ever had that I liked was Ghost Face Killah. The worst was one by a local brewery, it smelled and tasted like green peppers (which I hate). No heat at all.

Aw c'mon, man! You live where the green peppers are good! You should try the dreck that they try to pass off as green peppers out here. Then you'd have cause to hate 'em.

Must be something in the soil out there, good green peppers is one of the top five things I miss most about back East.

I get green peppers from coffee beers when they use beans.

nasty.

blame Navy chow. EVERYTHING came with green peppers in it. Chief must've got a deal on them or somesh*t. once got a bowl of New England clam chowder full of green ****ing peppers.

coffee beer needs cold-steeped coffee for me to like it

Stone Xocoveza: a hint of peppers, tons of chocolate and spices, zero heat -- good!

The best (well, my favorite) chili beer is called Safe Word from Free Will Brewing in Philadelphia. It's a mango habanero IIPA. I've had lots of others like it, but this is what they should all aspire to be. Perfect balance of citrus, heat, fruit, and malt sweetness. Delicious!

The best (well, my favorite) chili beer is called Safe Word from Free Will Brewing in Philadelphia. It's a mango habanero IIPA. I've had lots of others like it, but this is what they should all aspire to be. Perfect balance of citrus, heat, fruit, and malt sweetness. Delicious!

I've got a Pineapple Habanero IPA on tap right now that I brewed a few weeks back. Got to say, it's my favorite beer I've done to date. Nice pineapple aroma up front and finishes with a little kick. Ended with 9.71 ABV

Now for something mildly funny...

Not willing to be out done by the Danes, the Flemish also make beer from piss.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...Beer-brewed-recycled-URINE-sale-festival.html

"Some beers taste like piss — but here’s one actually made from it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...urn-urine-sewer-brewer-beer-article-1.2728599

Who will join me in a pint. :mug:

I now need a To Øl Goliat or a Rodenbach Grand Cru to clear my pallet after posting this. :goat:

Well I was ahead of the curve. I pissed on my hops plants whenever I was working in the shop last year as they are planted just around the corner. Guess I should have named my "Get a little Chinookie" IPA "Just Piss on It" instead. Name just don't quite have the ring though.

In the "And now for something completely different" mode, I say "skål" and "santé!" :mug:

Well I was ahead of the curve. I pissed on my hops plants whenever I was working in the shop last year as they are planted just around the corner. Guess I should have named my "Get a little Chinookie" IPA "Just Piss on It" instead. Name just don't quite have the ring though.

:goat:

On a serious note: It is proven that beer tastes better with music.

The funny part is that the article actually describes the beer somewhat accurately, and it is not BMC.

"For the beer, brewers produced a porter-style ale that had notes of Earl Grey, citrus, chocolate and malt, inspired by the band's latest album, "In Dreams.""

http://www.seeker.com/beer-tastes-better-with-music-1954584647.html

I would have chosen another band and I'm not sure what a citrus porter is; but to each is own. :goat:

Now for something mildly funny...

Not willing to be out done by the Danes, the Flemish also make beer from piss.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...Beer-brewed-recycled-URINE-sale-festival.html

"Some beers taste like piss — but here’s one actually made from it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...urn-urine-sewer-brewer-beer-article-1.2728599

Who will join me in a pint. :mug:

I now need a To Øl Goliat or a Rodenbach Grand Cru to clear my pallet after posting this. :goat:

Hmmm... Maybe they could make beer out of Budweiser???

Sweetwater Tavern is a small brewery/gastro-pub in our town. not affiliated with Sweetwater Brewing in Atlanta.

it's part of a chain called Great American Restaurants in our area

anyways, their website seems to be down, so they posted this message. and I had to ask the question EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU would ask

sweetwater.JPG

Ive been to a bunch of the Great American Restaurant locations and all this time I thought they were the same people that make 420. I could swear I've had 420 at the Sterling location. Maybe not, but I always thought that was their only beer I like, lol.

A friend of mine who is actually incredibly smart made the silly claim to me that non-alcoholic beer is made by stunting the yeast so it doesn't produce alcohol.

I told him "Actually they make beer like normal and then boil off most of the ethanol since it has a lower boiling point than water. Either that our they increase the pressure so the alcohol boils off at room temperature." He actually thanked me for setting him straight and said he wanted to learn more. Quite a rare response when someone makes a blatantly wrong statement about beer.

Sitting at a local micro. 2 young ladies were tasting the sour and the pony tail dude behind the bar, "we add sour hops to it to make it sour".

That would certainly make sour brewing 100000x easier if that were an actual possibility.

Acidified malt is a "thing" but you can hardly make a sour beer just by adding a ton of acidified malt to your grain bill. I guess you could TECHNICALLY make a sour beer by adding food-grade lactic acid to your finished beer before bottling, but it would have little to zero complexity. Plus, food-grade lactic acid tastes quite different from the lactic acid produced in sour beer fermentation... :tank:

food-grade lactic acid tastes quite different from the lactic acid produced in sour beer fermentation
the other various byproducts are what may have a different taste. Just like CO2 tastes the same no matter if it is from the yeast or from a tank, lactic acid is a simple molecule.

the other various byproducts are what may have a different taste. Just like CO2 tastes the same no matter if it is from the yeast or from a tank, lactic acid is a simple molecule.

I'm not exactly sure of all the specific reasons for the difference in taste, but it has been widely noted that lactic acid produced by Lactobacillus tastes different from the lactic acid produced by Pediococcus (and they both taste different from food-grade lactic acid). It probably does have to do with certain byproducts that are made by the individual bacteria that influence how the lactic acid tastes.

For example, Lactobacillus produces softer and "rounder" tasting lactic acid, while Pediococcus produces sharper and more "aggressive" tasting lactic acid. I suppose I would describe food-grade lactic acid as "one-dimensional."

Back