Pitching from a yeast starter in erlenmeyer flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendlodc

Reaction score
When I pitch yeast from a starter in a Erlenmeyer flask do I need to do some sort of sanitation to the lip before pitching? I obviously completely sanitize the flask before starting the yeast starter and keep foil or an airlock on the opening until I am ready to pitch, but wonder if there is a chance of contamination from the lip of the flask as I am pouring the starter into my fermenter? If so, how I can I avoid that?

Thanks!

Spray it with a no rinse sanitizer, like Star San. Or you can flame it with butane lighter/torch. Alternatively, you can also take some clean paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol and wipe it clean.

Just spray the whole outside area before I take the stopper off and wait for it to dry?

A what concentration do you mix your Star San?

Thanks!

Second spraying the flask with sanitizer. When removing the stopper (foil or whatever), I wipe the mouth with sanitizer before pouring.

Mix the Star San following the manufacturers recommendations. And if you are using Star San, you don't need to let it dry. Just spray, wait 30 seconds, and everything will be sanitized.

Back