DIY Bench Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ever since the aluminum bottle discussion, I've been itching for a bench capper.

Well...I was at Sear's yesterday, and I had a brainstorm...

4688-capperprogress0.JPG

4688-capperprogress1.JPG

Can anyone see where I'm going with this?

More pictures/how-to to follow...

Thats cool man!

I just bought an antique capper from ebay....87 yrs old!

only $23 though....should be here in a couple of days

greenhornet said:
Thats cool man!

I just bought an antique capper from ebay....87 yrs old!

only $23 though....should be here in a couple of days
Awesome - I was looking at those as well! Most of the ones I saw would probably clean up quite nicely.

I think the grand total cost for this project is going to be about $15. I plan on welding most of it together, but I bet you could easily bolt one together as well. More to follow - I need to run to the hardware store for the weird metric bolt that will screw into the capper bell. When I get back, I don't think it'll be more than an hour before I have something working.

Sweet Yuri! Where are you going to put the Dilithium Crystals? :D

You ARE Tim the Tool Man's brother.

When I saw the title of this post I was hoping to see an air cylinder and a robot automatically capping bottles...

brewman ! said:
When I saw the title of this post I was hoping to see an air cylinder and a robot automatically capping bottles...
Don't think I didn't think about that...

Turns out it takes quite a bit of force to cap a bottle (100-150 lbs). When I started looking at solenoids and actuators, the ones with enough force (or extension to be multiplied with mechanical advantage) were extremely expensive.

EDIT: There was too much whining here before.

Progress so far:

4688-capperprogress2.JPG

Alright! It works!

I probably ought to fashion a release mechanism (pin inside the bell) - the bottles tend to stick after being capped. Otherwise, it does a fine job.

Here's an exploded view of all the pieces:

4688-capperprogress3.JPG

And here's the finished product, complete with a bead blasted aluminum Bud Light can.

4688-capperprogress4.JPG

OK THAT'S IT!

F**K THE FONZE!

YURI IS THE COOLEST CAT ON THE PLANET!

and once again we hate you!!! lol (only in an extremely healthy jealous kinda way!)

John

EdWort said:
Amazing! You can sandblast?
Yes - and so can you! It's a really simple process. I got a blasting cabinet on eBay for around $100. Glass bead runs about $1 a pound, and it takes 25-50 lbs to fill your average shop sized cabinet. You'll also need an air compressor capable of at least 10 CFM at 45-90 psi.
Dude said:
What welder do you have Yuri?
I have a VERY small gas set (looking to upgrade to a REAL gas rig soon).

I MIG with a Lincoln Electric MIG 140 unit. I highly recommend this one for the hobbiest. It's easy to use, you don't absolutely need shielding gas, and it runs on 120VAC.

I used the TIG machine for this project. It's a Lincoln Electric Squarewave Pro 175. I really like this machine, but most opinions I've heard lead me to believe that Miller makes a nicer machine for the price.

brewman ! said:
Wonder if you could retrofit this thing with a capping mechanism? There'd have to be a spring to soften the blow so you wouldn't break your bottles from the shock...but hmm...

Yuri_Rage said:
Wonder if you could retrofit this thing with a capping mechanism? There'd have to be a spring to soften the blow so you wouldn't break your bottles from the shock...but hmm...

WHACK!

Yuri's SWMBO: What the heck are you doing! The garage is covered in broken glass!

Yuri: I almost have it Dear! It only cracked cracked this time instead of shattering!

lol

Yuri, what are you doing messing around with bottles? Shouldn't you be building us some 7-gallon SS fermenters and some 3-gallon cornies?

An obvious advantage I see is granular control of the height of the capper.
A pet peeve of mine is that sometimes the bottle gets stuck in the capper.

Can you incorporate a feature that address this?

olllllo said:
A pet peeve of mine is that sometimes the bottle gets stuck in the capper.
I'm thinking about adding a pin/spring inside the plunger that will kick the bottle out. I'll give it some more thought before I start cutting, but I'm sure I can find something that will work.

Yuri_Rage said:
Don't think I didn't think about that...

Turns out it takes quite a bit of force to cap a bottle (100-150 lbs). When I started looking at solenoids and actuators, the ones with enough force (or extension to be multiplied with mechanical advantage) were extremely expensive.

EDIT: There was too much whining here before.

Progress so far:

4688-capperprogress2.JPG

Come on yuri! You almost have it! all you need to think about is force amplification.

Lever & Fulcrum!

150lbs need to cap using a lever of 5" with a pivot @ 1" then the force generator @ the 5" mark, would needed to generate 37.5lbs!!

see this:

http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/levers/page_levers_1.htm

MadWeezel said:
Come on yuri! You almost have it! all you need to think about is force amplification.

Lever & Fulcrum!

150lbs need to cap using a lever of 5" with a pivot @ 1" then the force generator @ the 5" mark, would needed to generate 37.5lbs!!

see this:

http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/levers/page_levers_1.htm
I know all about mechanical advantage...that's how I figured out how much force it takes to cap a bottle in the first place! (5/8" travel at the bell vs 3" a the handle x 40 lbs). Find me a solenoid or actuator capable of >1" of travel and >35 lbs of force for less than $50...

Yuri_Rage said:
I know all about mechanical advantage...that's how I figured out how much force it takes to cap a bottle in the first place! (5/8" travel at the bell vs 3" a the handle x 40 lbs). Find me a solenoid or actuator capable of >1" of travel and >35 lbs of force for less than $50...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130098194477

Bimba 3" stroke 1.25" bore will give 48lb/si @ 40psi

all under $35 with shipping

Plus if you act now you get a second for free!!

Yuri_Rage said:

OMG, dood's bilingual too. <swoon>

new idea for next thing to make Yuri your own caps! Hmmmmmm very nice work man seen all the things you have made and posted great work:rockin:

hah this thread got me thinking when I was in my reloading room..... I have the mechanisms all there they just need to be switched around. A rotating assembly line from my dillon progressive :p hah perhaps not, gun powder IPA might have alittle too much bite for me

really could see this working with an old brake/clutch master and a hydrualic slave cylinder. could have a nice floor mounted foot pedle to step on to do it. a little trial and error and you could maybe even find a "safe limit" line pressure so you could put in a bleed off of some sort so you don't crush any bottles.

Latest posts

Back