Increasing foamy head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppersdad

Reaction score
Was wondering why my first batch is creating a very foamy head? It was a kit German Altbier and when I opened the first bottle, it was flat. Following some advice I found on this site (moved it to a warmer location), the beer had a nice head. But now it seems to be to foamy. Still has a great flavor, just wondering what I might want to do differently to reduce the amount of foam.

If your beer hadn't had enough time or warm enough temperature during the ferment and you added the bottling sugar and bottled, your beer will overcarbonate and give you a head of foam that equals the amount of liquid. Make sure your temperature is within the range for the yeast and use your hydrometer to determine that the ferment is truly finished before you bottle. Weigh your priming sugar instead of using a measure as you can pack more into the measure than you intend.

Back