Best AVAILABLE mini fridge for corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_S

Reaction score
What is the best available mini fridge for both storing multiple (2-4) corny kegs and a CO2 tank and for converting to a kegerator?

I've been searching relentlessly the past few days. It seems like the Sanyo 4912M was the hot ticket, but it's no longer produced and nearly impossible to find. Then it was the Frigidaire FRC445GB, but that seems to be impossible to find these days as well.

I'm looking for one that I can buy at Wal-Mart/Lowes/Home Depot/Costco/Sams/Best Buy/etc so I don't have to deal with shipping and such.

Even the best mini fridge is going to be a 2-keg setup. If you want more, think about a chest freezer.

I can live with 2 kegs.

I don't want to deal with removing freezers, relocating thermostats and lights, bending gas lines, etc.

What should I get?

The Danby 4.4 seems to be a good start. Best Buy, Lowes, Wal Mart, etc. seem to all list it online but not carry it in store though.

Danby 4.4 is web order, store pick-up from your local Wal-Mart. Nice unit. Easy to convert.

I have the Danby 4cf with no freezer, picked it up at hh greg in Lawrencville NJ.

Just checked their website and they're not showing it anymore, but they have a whirlpool 4.4 no freezer.

I have the Danby 4cf with no freezer, picked it up at hh greg in Lawrencville NJ.

Just checked their website and they're not showing it anymore, but they have a whirlpool 4.4 no freezer.

That's awesome. That store is like 30 minutes from me. That specific model isn't showing on their website but I will definitely call them and swing by tomorrow.

Thanks.

Wait, they do have the 4.4 Whirlpool, which I believe is just a rebranded Danby.

They also have a 4.6 Haier.

Which would you guys recommend - the Haier or the Danby/Whirlpool? The Haier is $169, the Whirlpool $199. I'll spend the extra 30 bucks if it's better, otherwise I'll save some money and get a little extra space.

Heres the Danby I have. I had to remove the door panel that had built in shelves, then I used a piece of plexiglass to cover the foam. There is a video floating around that someone did the same thing.

5361816787_bfbf550570_z.jpg

I'm plugging the Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM that I just converted. No interior coolant lines to worry about kinking or breaking, and it fits two cornies and a 5lb CO2 tank.

finished.jpg

It's also cheap ($139 at Lowes) and available at a lot of places.

I'm plugging the Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM that I just converted. No interior coolant lines to worry about kinking or breaking, and it fits two cornies and a 5lb CO2 tank.

finished.jpg

It's also cheap ($139 at Lowes) and available at a lot of places.

Wow, am going to swing by Lowes tonight to check that out.

I bought the Frigidaire tonight at Lowes.

While their website has it on sale for $149, my local store wanted $179. Still a good deal.

Cool! Post some pics when you get it set up.

Will do.

The immediate need was that I have a Pale Ale in the carboy that needs to be bottled this weekend, but most of my bottles are occupied. So for the time being, the corny is just going to go straight into this fridge. I probably won't get around to doing the kegerator conversion for a few more weeks.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

The Costco website is advertising the 4912! It's more expensive than other models, but is a bit larger...

I thought it wasn't available anymore...

Hmmm, just finishing up my keezer build but this still intrigues me. Think I definitely would have went this route if I saw it before christmas.
Maybe I should get one anyways and use it for fermentation in case the old freezer I used for the keezer kicks it. :) Looks like there would be tons of room with that door panel off...

Yeah, the website has it for $149, but the store didn't mark it down for me either. I argued, and they gave me the web-price.

Dammit, I wish I had done that. I thought about it when I was at the store, but it was late and the wife and kids were in the car outside.

Anyway, I am going to follow your buildout instructions/pics. Any further tips after having done it?

37554_409668014596_670909596_4638156_3890048_n.jpg

I gotta throw in another vote for the Frigidaire model. Converts easily to tower mount kegerator... I followed this build and had NO problem

Any further tips after having done it?

I have one... go tower style. See the link above, it looks a lot better, and is pretty straight forward. As long as you don't drill through the coolant lines (easy to avoid) that fridge converts to a tower very easily.

SO I have the fridge setup now and I'm a little worried because it's making an odd noise. When it's running, in addition to the motor, I can hear what sounds like a hissing noise plus the sound of liquid flowing.

It's definitely staying cold, and I don't see or smell any coolant leaks, but the sound is freaking me out.

Anyone else experience this?

SO I have the fridge setup now and I'm a little worried because it's making an odd noise. When it's running, in addition to the motor, I can hear what sounds like a hissing noise plus the sound of liquid flowing.

It's definitely staying cold, and I don't see or smell any coolant leaks, but the sound is freaking me out.

Anyone else experience this?

Mine's the same way. 6 months and it's still fine.

Quick question... I am about to start a conversion with the sanyo; my question is:

Is the reason for drilling a 2 1/2 inch hole out the top to keep the Beer lines cold in the tap tower? If not, wouldn't it make more sense to drill 2--- 1.25 inch holes for the beer lines to save on cold air escaping. Just a thought.

cread said:
Quick question... I am about to start a conversion with the sanyo; my question is:

Is the reason for drilling a 2 1/2 inch hole out the top to keep the Beer lines cold in the tap tower? If not, wouldn't it make more sense to drill 2--- 1.25 inch holes for the beer lines to save on cold air escaping. Just a thought.

The method I used (see previous post) with a frigidaire fridge was to drill holes the size you wanted. Worked great for me. I do recommend running your beer lines through copper piping first. Copper is a thermal conductor and will help keep the lines cool close to the taps by conducting cold air from the fridge to your beer lines (closer to the taps)

Could you give me the interior dimensions of that fridge, please?
I don't have the time to make beer hardly at all anymore. I'd like to have the option of using Corney or 1/6th Barrel Commercial Kegs, or even a full 1/2 barrel for parties n such.
Thanks!

Back