Steam driven HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey

was just wondering if anyone has ever hear of or driven there systems with this?

I know alot of microbrews drive there systems with steam due to efficiency, was just wondering if anyone has ever found a homebrewing version of this?

I will post the one I am drawing up now when its done.

Cheers

I have built 2 direct steam injection RIMS systems with 1/4" SS tube flash boilers. The direct steam injection method is simple and out performs other heating methods in amount of heat delivered on a continous basis and temperature control. I do not know of another system that can deliver 60 degree temperature rise at 1 Gpm flow that uses steam.

Thanks guys

Just wondering

have you had any issues with scorching or carmalyzation on the steam injecters?

No problem with scorching or carmalazation as the steam temp is 219 degrees and lower. The energy is transfered by steam condensation, and temperature is controlled by regulating boiler burner with constant water flow to regulate volume and temperature of steam. Steam is mixed into the wort flowing over a 1/4" screen wire diffuser inside a 1/2" swagelok tube tee. Strike and sparge water flow through same opening so unit is self cleaning, and no plumbing needs to be changed during system operation.

Kladue, where did you find the diffuser you use? Can you do it without at diffuser?

I have built the diffusers from stainless screen wire rolled over an 1/8" rod, then fit over 1/4" stainless tubing. All that is needed is 1" length of screen to let steam out into flowing liquid, faster the flow the faster the mix happens. You might be able to contact GreenMonti and see if he could manufacture one for you, or else cut some slots in 1/4" tubing to let steam out into liquid flow.

Back