another impatient first timer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadymi

Reaction score
I've read post after post that good mead takes time...that being said I am concerned. My mead tastes horrible.

Pitched 10/8 with US-05 SG was 1.08

Racked 10/17 because I had an inch of lee's in the bottom SG was 1.01

Tested and tasted on 10/25 SG 1.003 Air lock still bubbling about 4 x / minute.

Nothing in here but honey, water, and yeast. I am fully prepared to wait this stuff out, I am just concerned that it is absolutely undrinkable at this point. edit: I did use nutrient but I hadn't learned about staggered method yet.

Young meads are often rough, and time may work wonders on it, but some honey doesn't make good mead.

Medsen

This was fresh from the hive raw unprocessed honey from a neighbor. He figures mostly from local clovers and wild flowers.

You tasted in under a month. It's going to taste bad, unless you happen to have the random liking for those flavors.

Relax, step back, and have a homebrew.

You tasted in under a month. It's going to taste bad, unless you happen to have the random liking for those flavors.

Relax, step back, and have a homebrew.

Unfortunately this is my first brewing season.......I have plenty in primaries and secondaries........with nothing ready to drink :drunk:

Unfortunately this is my first brewing season.......I have plenty in primaries and secondaries........with nothing ready to drink :drunk:
That's the downside of mead making..... patience......

Or get like me.... enthusiastic to get it made then just say "sod it, I'll do XXXX" next week - laziness is sometimes, a virtue....:rockin:

regards

fatbloke

I made my first batch about a year ago and just finished my last bottle in September. I have to tell you the difference in taste from when the mead was 6 months old to 10 months was shocking. The flavors just blending in that time and I like you used nothing but honey, water, and yeast.

Try and hold off for as long as you can and you will be rewarded.

Back