Will a change in temperature effect fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebrew

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for all the help you give. I started a porter this Sunday. got the wort down to 70 before i pitched my yeast. Within 24 hours the bubbles were going NUTS. checked last night and i had about 3-4 bubbles per second. I had the bucket in a room with the temperature around 68-70 degrees. Before I went to bed last night I opened a window in the room where my beer is fermenting. This morning the temperature in the room was 65 degrees (which is what i read it should be). But, this morning there were no more bubbles. Again, I started the beer Sunday night, so Wednesday morning would be a total of 2 1/2 days of fermentation. Did it stop because of the temperature change or because it is just done? I plan on transfering it sunday into my secondary. Should i wait to transfer? Again, thanks

You should be fine. It was a little on the warm side the first night at 68-70 as you had a vigorous fermentation the actual beer would have been warmer than that. It has slowed down now because it has completed the fast growth stage, that's all. Because of the fast fermentation I would be in no hurry to move this to the bottling stage too quickly. The yeast will need time to clean things up. Maybe go two weeks primary and two in secondary.

Like Laughing Gnome said, the yeast need time to clean things up. Too many people transfer too early. Give them another couple weeks in the primary and take gravity readings to make sure fermentation is complete. That's the only way to know.

Back