My Ghetto Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotdane

Reaction score
My goal was to build a nice crusher on a moderate budget. Something that could accommodate larger batches without headache should I move up to brew with the bigger boys.

My father had a scrap piece of 3/4" thick plastic which I used for the mounting base.

Crusher1.jpg

I found the 1/3hp motor and gearbox new, old stock on Ebay. The gearbox is a variable speed Zero-Max that can deliver full torque from zero up to full rpm's (400) and anywhere in between.

Crusher2.jpg

The mill is a Monster Mill three roller MM3 with 1.5" diameter rollers connected with a Lovejoy shaft coupler.

Crusher3.jpg

I often like to brew with a home brew in my hand so I thought it prudent to enclose and guard everything so I don't accidently get a finger in the wrong spot. I also enclosed everything to contain the dust.

First I fitted the plate to cover one side and the top of the mill. This will become the mounting base for my hopper and provide additional support to stiffen the mill.

Crusher4.jpg

Then I cut a slot centered over the two rollers.

Crusher5.jpg

And welded on mounting brackets to support my ghetto hopper.

Crusher6.jpg

I had a pressure washer wheeled cart lying around the shop unused which is a perfect cart for my crusher. A $5 plastic garbage can is my hopper.

Crusher7.jpg

I put a separate plate on the adjustment side of the mill so I can remove the cover without removing the hopper to measure the gap settings.

Crusher8.jpg

And the view for feeding in the grain. Because the gearbox can deliver full power at any speed, even stopped I should be able to start the mill after the hopper is full if I want (like if I start grinding and realize I want to change the roller gap).

Crusher9.jpg

The final step was to put a guard over the rotating shafts and Lovejoy connector. Who knows when a drunk brewer might want to stick their tongue on the blue coupling to see if it tastes like blueberry.

ShaftGuard.jpg

ok the trash can is kinda ghetto.

after all that work you really need a proper grain hopper on there. At LEAST use a Homer Bucket! :)

ok the trash can is kinda ghetto.

after all that work you really need a proper grain hopper on there. At LEAST use a Homer Bucket! :)

Yes...the bucket is kinda ghetto but I LOVE it!

If it was true ghetto the hopper would be made from a used Popeye's Chicken Bucket!

I call shenanigans. Ghetto my rear end.

Well done sir, that is one sweet rig.

First of all, great job on the mill. I thought it was one of the least ghetto DIY's I'd ever seen, but then you put that nice trash can touch on there. You have a good sense of humor, and even better metal working skills.

Second,
Been done

Made my night. Exercise and brewing are now one.

Yes...the bucket is kinda ghetto but I LOVE it!

If it was true ghetto the hopper would be made from a used Popeye's Chicken Bucket!

We don't have Popeye's in my area, and the cardboard KFC bucket just did not look big enough. I had a Scoop Away cat litter box bolted up there first but I could not get the lablels off, plus the molded handles in the bottom of their bucket would have held grain, forcing me to stick my fingers down into the hopper (something I'm trying to design out).

The kids in my ghetto would kick ten colours of crap out of your nerd ass. ;)

Very nice!!!! :D

grinder.jpg

Edit: it has a pulley system now though! :)

The trash can makes the whole project in my opinion. If I was using that I would LOL every time I walked in the room. It looks great though, well done! :rockin:

Laughing Gnome: Did I mention that I grew up in Bellevue? It's been two years since I've been up there. Had to make an emergency trip to Cedar Point.

Well I finally used up most of my crushed grain and ready to crush my own and... it did not work. I dumped the grain into the hopper and nothing. The grain would not feed into the two upper rollers. I have a machine shop and checked over the Monster Mill and everything said the mill was good, but it still did not work. So, after scratching my head for a long while I called Monster Brewing (on a Saturday) expecting to leave a message and to my surprise someone answered the phone. The guy stepped me through everything and helped my diagnose the problem. Basically it was my hopper. My hopper was dropping the grain willy nilly across the upper rollers. Monster Brewing carefully told me what the hopper needed to do and how it needed to feed the grain into the rollers and after a few minutes with some scraps of aluminum and electrical tape I had fabricated a new "mini" hopper and the mill worked like a charm. Sucking in the grain as fast as I could fill my little hopper.

HopperModification2.jpg

HopperModification.jpg

In the end I am blown away with Monster. Not only is the mill first quality but the support I got was over the top and on a Saturday.

I almost forgot to mention that since crushing my own grain my brewhouse efficiency is up 7%.

Yeah, only 3 rollers on that crusher, so ghetto! :mug:

Throw some duct tape on it, connect the motor to the crusher with it, then it might be ghetto.

Back