40QT Kettle and Fermcap - Redundant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I recently bought a new brew kettle (with a ball valve no less!!) and I nearly *insert sexual reference here* out of sheer excitement. It was so big and shiny but it also got me to thinking.,,

Sure I have been doing 5 gallon batches and once thought that this would be plenty sufficient, but now that others are showing interest and running out of beer sucks, Ive been contemplating 10 gallon batches.

Okay, to my point... 40QT kettle was initially to upgrade from the turkey fryer cause boilovers are kind of a PITA. Fermcap drops were for this purpose as well. But with such a huge kettle and 5 gallon batches, I dont foresee boilovers being an issue even without Fermcap drops.

And then again 10 gallon batches are in essence not possible in seeing that the capacity of the kettle is 10 gallons and I need a few more for boil off.
*Sigh* The joys of new stuff and its limitations. Its kinda bittersweet
-Me

I ended up buying a 40 qt for 5gal recipes and 60 qt for 10 gal recipes. While I could make 5 gal batches in the 60qt, it was a bit awkward.

I brew 5 gallon batches in an 8.5 pot and still use it. it keeps the krauzen to max one inch, eliminating the need for a blow-off

I brew 5 gallon batches in an 8.5 pot and still use it. it keeps the krauzen to max one inch, eliminating the need for a blow-off

That's what I use my fermcap for.

An important point that should be obvious but wasn't to me until after I used fermcap for the first time. A boil over is a boil over. Fermcap doesn't stop a boil from happening so much as it only reduces the foam that comes from a boil, barely. Someone once posted a picture on here boiling what seemed like 8 gallons of wort in an 8.5 gallon brew pot exclaiming that fermcap made it possible. No way! A good vigorous boil for me with or without fermcap brings the wort level up a good inch or two. A few drops of a chemical isn't going to change that. Still gotta adjust the flame for the optimal boil.

Back