Pros and cons of Liquids vs Dry Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you want something more or less foolproof, pitch 2 packs of dry. liquid is nice because of the available variety.

obviously though the liquid dissolves so there would be no advantage of being able to reuse the yeast

obviously though the liquid dissolves so there would be no advantage of being able to reuse the yeast

Yeah, obviously :drunk: :D

Benefits of dry yeast: easier to store, no need for a starter, high pitching rates are quicker and easier to acheive (use two packets!), it's cheaper, it's just generally less hastle

Benefits of liquid yeast: wider variety, more complex flavours/esters, healthier yeast (Is this true?), more fun!

Here we go again! This comes up so often around here, it's a wonder it doesn't show even without using the Search function.

:rolleyes:

Bob

EDITED TO ADD: We've done this to death, over and over again. Use the Search function to read the multiplicity of old threads hashing and rehashing the issue.

Yep, we've done liquid v. dry to death. However, the OP asks specifically about lager yeasts, at least in the thread title.

I'm no expert and will defer to those who are, but aren't liquid yeasts more suited to making lagers? It is my understanding that dry yeast works great for ales, but not so well with lagers.

Any input?

Chad

if you want the best of both worlds throw some dry yeast into your liquid yeast a few days before your brewday

Please dont do this I was just kidding

Missed the bit about lager yeasts, so I apologize for any perceived over-snarkiness.

I stand by my statements, however; even that has been done to death. Search is your friend.

Dry yeast is not necessarily cheaper. For example, for my upcoming Helles brew, I will be pitching four 11gram packages of Fermentis W-34/70 lager yeast. At $3.49 a pack, that is $13.96 in yeast. I could also buy two activator packs at $6.99 each for a total of $13.98 and would have to make an 10L starter.

I have been a big proponent of liquid yeasts and will continue to use them for my regular ales, but I am going to be trying the dry stuff on a few batches and on my lagers for now.

Missed the bit about lager yeasts, so I apologize for any perceived over-snarkiness.

I stand by my statements, however; even that has been done to death. Search is your friend.

you make it sound like discussing the issue further would be the end of the world...

carry on

liquid is better cause you can squirt it on your wife....

I guess so, but I still don't understand the guy who comes into a thread that is a repeat topic to tell people its already been discussed. Why not just ignore the thread? Maybe Im missing something?

I cannot get liquid yeast shipped here with any expectation that it will live this time of year.

Sometimes I find my dry yeasts a little too attenuative.

I think I made up that word, attenuative.

Latest posts

Back