Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Reaction score
Ok, so I put my wort into the primary on Sunday. I got a specific gravity reading of 1.014 consistently on Tuesday, Wednesday, and today (Thursday). What do you guys recommend? I read you should keep it in the primary for 7 days regardless, and I have also read that when you get consistent readings you should just rack into the secondary. I trust everyone's input on this forum. What do you suggest I do?

If you are using a secondary, you can move it now if you want (I know how it is being new and getting an itch to do something), but you don't have to. The 3-gravities-in-a-day is more for bottling than moving from primary to secondary.

Whether you're using a secondary or not, there's really no need to rush. It won't hurt to leave it in the primary a few more days, and if you go straight to the bottle (as I do), there's no point in risking it--I've had gravities drop slowly toward the bottom end, especially in the winter, and you run the risk of overpriming.

I'd still leave it in primary at least 7-10 days to give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves a bit. Once fermentation is basically finished they continue to work, reprocessing their some of their own by-products that can give off flavors. Longer is better.

Back