Poor Man's False Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue77

Reaction score
The wife and I were walking through the kitchen section at Target (hold the gay jokes) and this caught my eye for $20. Its not on the Target website but I found it on Amazon.

41VGE5FX59L._SS500_.jpg

Its stainless, and is 13" in diameter and is tiered so the screen height is about 3/4". From what see, just remove the handle, drill a hole for the pickup tube.

Anyone else seen or tried this?

Give it a shot. The only problem I can foresee is that it may not stay rigid under the weight of the grain.

Neat idea. The holes in my Sankeys are only 12" though so I'd have to hing or trim it before it could be used.

Give it a shot. The only problem I can foresee is that it may not stay rigid under the weight of the grain.

If that's the case, you can toss a couple of stainless nuts and bolts or whatever (properly cleaned of course) under there... They'll help keep it lifted up...

Did you notice farther down that ad page it shows "those that bought this item also purchased the Oxo Good Grips i-Series Meat Pounder"? Just stay out of the "Miss Series Padded Bra Departement" then your ok to shop there.

All joking aside that sounds like a great find and the price is right.

Looks good to me too, let us know how it works out if you try it.

Did you end up trying this out? If so, how did it work out. I am looking for a false bottom and don't really want to spend $50 if I don't have to.

I use something similar to this
4079195_lg.jpg

Tablecraft 86 6.25" Medium Stainless Steel Single Mesh Strainer

in my boil kettle. I used to use a SS scrubbie on the bottom of the dip tube, but since I moved to a bottom drain (I'm using electric) I just cut the handle and tabs off the strainer and just set it on the bottom of the keg. Has worked well for two a couple brews now.

I bet it would work for a mash tun as well if you are batch sparging. Probably too much channeling to the middle for a fly sparge.

Well I have yet to do a trial run, but I think it's going to work for me. I cut the handle off and the sides where the handle mounted. Then I bent the left over flap to fill the gap. I will be making small metal legs from SS screws as well as running split tubing along the rim.

Hey, I was about to order a false bottom this week but I found exactly what you posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VO0DU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

At frys electronics of all placed, bout it and will adapt it as soon as I can, can you tell me how it worked for you? If it didn't I'll just return it...

The holes int the splatter shields I've seen are pretty small and might plug up easily. I don't know that for sure, so it may be worth a try, but for not much more you can buy a FB designed for the job. Long ago I tried a kitchen strainer and that didn't work very well for me, but mine may have had too fine a mesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, considering I was about to spend 100 bucks for a sabco FB, this cost me 20, so I guess it is worth a try, I'll let you guys know in 2 weeks once my place chiller arrives!

well, considering I was about to spend 100 bucks for a sabco FB, this cost me 20, so I guess it is worth a try, I'll let you guys know in 2 weeks once my place chiller arrives!

There's a huge difference between a Sabco FB and the splatter shield. The Sabco is full width for one thing. The splatter shield is only a bit over 13" diameter. There are FB's available for much less than the cost of a Sabco.

I used the Oxo FB for a few brews. It worked fine, however it was cheap stainless and I did have a bit of rust starting so I bought a real FB. You could probably use the Oxo just being careful to keep it clean and dry when done.

I looked into all the options for a FB, I was between a Sabco and jaybirds, I was looking for 15" so they were both priced pretty much the same... I'll give the Oxo a try for now but I have no doubt that I'll get a "real" one after a few batches as well... Thx!

Back