DMS when using Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
I am aware that normal 2 row requires a boil time of 90 minutes to avoid DMS in the beer. I am currently looking at a recipe that will use Maris Otter as the base malt. Since Maris Otter is still a 2 row barley, won't it require the same 90 minute boil? Or is that limited to American 2 row?

Thanks for the help.

I thought normal 2 row only requires 60. I know pilsner malt requires 90. Never heard that for 2 row.

I am aware that normal 2 row requires a boil time of 90 minutes to avoid DMS in the beer. I am currently looking at a recipe that will use Maris Otter as the base malt. Since Maris Otter is still a 2 row barley, won't it require the same 90 minute boil? Or is that limited to American 2 row?

Thanks for the help.

DMS is usually only an issue with pilsner malt, because it's less kilned. The longer the malt is "cooked", the more of the SMM precursors are gone so DMS isn't an issue with darker malts at all.

Regular US two-row is fine with a 60 minute boil, as are all darker malts like Vienna malt, Munich malt, maris otter, etc.

Aha! When I said "I know", I meant to say, "I'm a confiused newbie and am spouting nonsense that is rattling around in my head for some strange reason."

Thanks for the clarification. I will now resume my normal inane drooling. Durrr...

homebrewdad said:
Aha! When I said "I know", I meant to say, "I'm a confiused newbie and am spouting nonsense that is rattling around in my head for some strange reason."

Thanks for the clarification. I will now resume my normal inane drooling. Durrr...

Actually, you said "I am aware" :p

As other posters have said, a 60 miute boil is fine.

Here's more information on DMS: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Dimethyl_sulfides

I've done < 60 minute boils for English Ales when rushed with no perceived DMS....e.g. around 45 minutes. (Then again, I've thought about doing a Rolling Rock clone, so what are my taste buds like? :drunk: )

One interesting point of the wiki is the discussion on the importance in cooling the wort quickly:
4. Minimize the hot wort standing time
5. Rapidly cool the wort

Having a decent immersion chiller or counter flow chiller helps.

Finally, congraduations on using Maris Otter. MO is awesome, and once you start using it, you won't be using nearly as much plain old 2-row!

(Then again, I've thought about doing a Rolling Rock clone, so what are my taste buds like? :drunk: )

Finally, congraduations on using Maris Otter. MO is awesome, and once you start using it, you won't be using nearly as much plain old 2-row!

Rolling Rock? Oi.

I have an immersion chiller, and I realize the imprtance of getting the wort chilled as quickly as possible.

I am excited about this recipe. Basically, I am taking a VERY popular and well-received recipe (Malticulous' Mojave Red), and trying to "Irish it up" by subbing Irish Yeast, UK hops, and Maris Otter for the normal 2 row.

We'll see what happens.

Back