Peanut Butter Honey Sandwiches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigStone777

Reaction score
I had a crazy thought...
I remember growing up my mom would make peanut butter honey sandwiches for lunch. By lunch time, the honey had completely soaked one side of the sandwich, and i got used to this, and actually ended up liking this very much...
So i was thinking... what would happen is one were to create a mead recipe with a good amount of strong flavored honey, peanut butter, and use bakers yeast to ferment it... by whatever process used, hopefully it would end up sweet, and still... wouldn't matter if it was clear or not.
Would that roughly end up tasting like the sandwich i grew up with?
Is this an amusing thought?

Not being a big peanut butter fan, this isn't that exciting to me, but I do see where you are coming from.
Problem #1 OIL! How are you going to deal with the extreme oil content of peanut butter?
Problem #2 Bakers yeast! This is for bread not brew...unless the zombies have come and that's all you can get....even then it's questionable. I would think about a heffe yeast that will stay in suspension for the most part. That will help give the "Yeast" flavor that you seem to be looking for.

Ah ha! I thought only bakers yeast would leave the 'bread yeast' flavor... ok, gotcha.
So whats wrong with oil? What would oil do to the fermentation process? or are you mainly concerned that it will be there, floating on top, and no one wants half a mouthful of peanut oil...? if it wouldnt hamper the process, i guess it could be left out when siphoning to second fermentation...?

As a long time supporter of peanut butter honey sammiches, I would say forget making a PBH mead and just eat a PBH whilst drinking some fine mead. Win Win, no hassle.

You could just deoil the PB like I did with my PB Oatmeal Stout or you could try that PB powder thats in another thread. I think it sounds like a decent idea could be tasty if it worked.

Why can't he used bread yeast? Thats what JAOM uses isnt it?

Luci...You got some splanen to do!

Please describe your process.

You can go read it in the thread I did about PB Oatmeal Stout but basically I bought PB the the oil seperates in the jar like Smuckers and drained it off and then put the PB onto paper towels to allow the oil to soak out. What your left with is more like playdough fairly dry.

I would imagine using organic pb would make deoiling easier, seeing as it lacks the chemicals that emulsifies the fat and peanut butter. Right off the shelf most of the oil is already separated.

Or you could get some organic peanut butter. In that case the oil is typically floating on the top of the actual peanut butter so you can just pour that out. Let me know how this works. Sounds good to me.
--Edit--dang...I didn't see Tusch's response. Well in that case...I second it!

I was so thrown by your post crisco haha, I was like wait, didn't I already post that same response in a thread recently? I didn't even realize it was this thread at first.

lol. Sorry about that. I hit post reply before I realized there was a second page. Then when I hit page 2 I was telling myself, 'please don't tell me someone posted this reply already.' Sure enough...there was Tusch. :)

I would imagine using organic pb would make deoiling easier, seeing as it lacks the chemicals that emulsifies the fat and peanut butter. Right off the shelf most of the oil is already separated.

Thats maybe 1/2 the oil in the PB. You would still need to deoil it further in some way.

I also found that even after doing all that there was still some oil on top of the beer at the end of fermentation. When I transferred to the secondary I left about a 1/2" layer of beer so that oil would be left behind.

Why not just rack onto uncooked peanuts chopped a little, then rack again after a month leaving the chopped peanuts behind? I wouldn't use Peanut butter. They add oil to it. Just crush up some peanuts, uncooked might work better.

Uncooked peanuts have a totally different flavor. Cooked, chopped peanuts taste right, but they are so dense that I'm not sure much flavor would come out of them. The goal isn't to just use up some peanuts in any form, but rather to get the flavor of the final product to taste similar to peanut butter honey sandwiches.
I would imagine either way i will have to back sweeten with additional honey. I think using peanut butter would be best, and if its got some oil, then i could be careful to leave it behind at racking (oil floats in water/ alcohol).

Ah, yes my mistake, for unroasted. Might be best to get some uncooked peanuts then dry roast them with out oil and then Reduce it to powder using a coffee grinder or morter. You wouldn't have to deal with the extra oil. But for ease of sake, just strait organic peanutbutter might work. The reason I would go organic is to avoid preservatives that could affect fermentation. I remember that once I saw how they made peanut butter, they add oil to it so that the nuts and sugar are suspended properly. Just my 2 cents. Hope it works out well.

Ah yeah, I'm in a place where roasted peanuts without extra oil is common. I didn't even think about the fried peanuts being an issue. Peanuts are naturally full of oil anyway, so it will be there even with this method, just maybe a lot less.

Latest posts

Back