Explosive Belgian quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just had to put a blowoff tube on my belgian quad. I used some extra ingredients and as a result it has a very high SG (1.12). Took maybe 3-4 hours after I pitched the starter until I found this. :)

s3sURh.jpg

That looks like a slick fermentation chamber.

I almost always attach a blowoff tube to my fermenter now. I have had way too many batches volcano out of the airlock.

it's a Vissani wine chiller. The temperature control thingie at the top isn't very good. I haven't finished the controller yet, but its close. Being able to control the temperature of my brew over the internets is going to be sweet :)

That picture is taken after I cleaned up a bit. There was a beer snake shooting out of the airlock spewing krausen everywhere. First time I've had that happen. Very neat looking

nice looking fermentation:)

You might want look into getting a bigger primary in the future. My 6.5 glass carboy sometimes required a blowoff, but now I use a 7.9 bucket and haven't had much come up in the airlock.

I think I will. That's a 6 gallon better bottle. Obviously a half gallon of headspace was insufficient for this batch. This is the second batch I've made with a starter, the difference is amazing.

Back