For you Mac users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerAlchemy. They have a free 30-day trial.

I want to try BeerToolsPro, but they do not offer a trial.

Ditto on the Beer Alchemy. The best part is their recipe files all end in .bar. Ok, that's not the best part, the best part is that it helps me make good beer, I just think it's funny.

kvh

kvh said:
Ditto on the Beer Alchemy. The best part is their recipe files all end in .bar. Ok, that's not the best part, the best part is that it helps me make good beer, I just think it's funny.

kvh

Same here.

billpa said:
Using the trial version of Beer Alchemy (and I own Beer Tools). It is a great program. I would recommend it!

Which do you prefer? Beer Tools or Beer Alchemy?

johnsma22 said:
If you have an Intel Mac you can run any brewing software available.

Thats true...and I do at work...but not at home. Either way, I would still use Beer Alchemy. Of course I have never used ProMash so its not the best comparison. But, BA has some great features!

I guess that answers Beerifics question as well.

johnsma22 said:
If you have an Intel Mac you can run any brewing software available.

Are you talking about using CrossOver?

I just looked this up again today. Looks like they have more (all?) of the kinks worked out. I downloaded a trial 6 months ago and it was really hit or miss on what would work, sometimes I couldn't get support software to install.

Downloaded the trial and ProMash...seems to be working well!

Does Beer Alchemy have a timeline feature like ProMash? It lets you keep notes during your brew session with the time and date.

Xiren said:
Does Beer Alchemy have a timeline feature like ProMash? It lets you keep notes during your brew session with the time and date.

I do not believe so.

Beerrific said:
Are you talking about using CrossOver?

I just looked this up again today. Looks like they have more (all?) of the kinks worked out. I downloaded a trial 6 months ago and it was really hit or miss on what would work, sometimes I couldn't get support software to install.

Downloaded the trial and ProMash...seems to be working well!

No, I was not talking about that particular software that you linked to. Using Bootcamp from Apple on an Intel Mac, you can setup a partition on your existing Mac hard drive without loosing any data. You can then install Windows and boot into it natively and run any Windows software that you want.

Another option is to install the emulation software, Parallels Desktop and run Windows (and any Windows software) directly from within Mac OSX. Parallels is very good and just about everything works flawlessly with it, but running Windows natively from its own partition with Bootcamp is priceless!

johnsma22 said:
No, I was not talking about that particular software that you linked to. Using Bootcamp from Apple on an Intel Mac, you can setup a partition on your existing Mac hard drive without loosing any data. You can then install Windows and boot into it natively and run any Windows software that you want.

Another option is to install the emulation software, Parallels Desktop and run Windows (and any Windows software) directly from within Mac OSX. Parallels is very good and just about everything works flawlessly with it, but running Windows natively from its own partition with Bootcamp is priceless!

I knew of this but I am trying to keep Windows off my computer! hehe

Not to hijack this thread, But too bad..

But what features do you use most / like the most in your beer making software?

I know I'm bad and I need to register but I've been using BeerAlchemy for months and it never disabled itself so you can use it for a while without registering it. It really is good brewing software. It's pretty easy to add ingredients if they aren't there but the ones they have are usually spot on except they don't use the official name (eg English is usually Paul's, German is usually Weyermann, etc). The interface is pretty snazzy.

Back