Peach Blonde... turned out sour.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
We just tried our first peach blonde ale. When we transfered to secondary it tasted great, kinda dry, but amazing peach flavor and... well... perfect. Now however (2 weeks later) its sour. Good for a sour beer... but its not supposed to be. What happened!?

Fermentation temp was fine, about 65°F.

Here's the recipe in case you want to see:

12 pounds breiss 2 row
8oz carapils
12lbs fresh peaches

2 oz willamette (60 min boil)

WLP005 British Ale Yeast

Thnx. :)

If it's not just soured from the fruit acids, you probably picked up some lactobacillus or wild yeast somewhere. How did you use the peaches?

We pitted and pureed them. Then froze them and threw them in at flame out. The beer was still at around 180° when they went in.

Seems like you picked up an infection in your secondary vessel (or while racking to it). What kind of secondary did you use and what was your sanitation procedure?

I've also heard peaches can be tart or sour after fermenting. I have no personal experience with this, just something I read here at some point.

I didn't think about it until now but we started using a new sanitizer when we racked to secondary. A no rinse that we picked up from sam's club... guh, I was so excited about this beer.

I didn't think about it until now but we started using a new sanitizer when we racked to secondary. A no rinse that we picked up from sam's club... guh, I was so excited about this beer.

what the hell sanitizer are you getting a Sam's Club that is a non-rinse that's safe for beer?

Just because its a food grade, no rinse sanitizer, does NOT mean its ok for beer use.

Back