Need help mounting receptacles in control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I was able to mount PID and switches. Now I'm looking to put in three receptacles. I think I'd need to drill a 1.6" hole to fit these receptacles. Not sure how to do that. I used a step bit for the switches. Any suggestions? Is there another type of receptacle that would better suit mounting in the back of my enclosure?

Many thanks.

89c78620.jpg

a0268446.jpg

How about a square hole with a cover plate?

Cut a hole the size of a standard single gang box and use a standard outlet cover.

Ed

Kinda like:
IMG_3326.jpg

I would walk in to Home Depot or Lowes, get a receptacle from the electrical section and walk over to the tools and try hole saws until one fits.

Dont know if this may help but I used a 1-3/8 step bit (the same needed to pierce a keg for an element) and it worked perfectly. Although my enclosure is plastic, I dont see why it wouldn't work out for you. I also did the same for my 30amp 3prong recepticles and simply used a dremel to make the opening larger.

DSC_1486.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I've gotten one done with a grinding wheel and should be able to do the others with a hole saw.

Thanks again, guys.

How about a square hole with a cover plate?

Cut a hole the size of a standard single gang box and use a standard outlet cover.

Ed

Kinda like:
IMG_3326.jpg

Ed, you have a gorgeous control panel. And this is the BACKSIDE of the panel! I saw pictures of the inside and front in your build thread and they are just as nice. You have made an example by which the rest of us will be judged.

Ed, you have a gorgeous control panel. And this is the BACKSIDE of the panel! I saw pictures of the inside and front in your build thread and they are just as nice. You have made an example by which the rest of us will be judged.

Thanks, Quaffer.
Most of the panel is designed and built from input by the great folks in this forum.
I get by with a little help from my (HBT) friends. :mug:

Ed

The backside is the best part ;)

What about a hole saw??

Hole saw didn't work for me. But the unibit and a kind of rotary rasp made pretty quick work of it. I'd have done a square hole and the outlet cover but my enclosure isn't large enough for that.

Curious why a hole saw wouldn't work...did you try a bi-metal one? That should go through that box in about 10 seconds. Ok, maybe 30.

hell, i cut through a 12 gauge steel box with a hole saw meant for wood, so don't tell me you can't do it.... :p

I was able to mount PID and switches. Now I'm looking to put in three receptacles. I think I'd need to drill a 1.6" hole to fit these receptacles. Not sure how to do that. I used a step bit for the switches. Any suggestions? Is there another type of receptacle that would better suit mounting in the back of my enclosure?

Many thanks.

89c78620.jpg

a0268446.jpg

Dgonza9,

Care to share some more pictures of the finished product (both inside and out)? I am planning to build the exact same control box and would like to use yours as a guide/template.
:mug:

I used my dremmel with the bit that looks like a drill but it will make cuts in all directions. Not sure what the name of the bit is but it makes very accurate cuts. My receptacle outlets turned out nicely I did not have room to put outlet covers on so it was important that the hole shape was clean.

Dgonza9,

Care to share some more pictures of the finished product (both inside and out)? I am planning to build the exact same control box and would like to use yours as a guide/template.
:mug:

Hear's a thread with a cost breakdown and one pic of the finished product. I'll try and post more soon when I get some time. Too much work! Cheers.:mug:

I eventually went with Ohio-Ed's method....it just looks nice even if you make sloppy cuts. The only thing I've noticed is that you need to donate extra panel space because the wall plates take up more real estate than "naked" receptacles.

Back