Chugger Pump Stainless - Great Price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachman

Reaction score
It looks like these are prototype units for $104 shipped. I ordered one based on the reviews found here and on other forums. Should get mine tomorrow. Sad that I have to wait till next weekend to try it out though.

Just wanted to give the heads up on the reduced price. Have not seen this posted yet.

I bought my March 809-HS-PL from them. They have great prices. I'm guessing demand has been very high and they are now making their own cloned version of the 809. Housing is green so I'm assuming the motor is not the same. Stainless steel housing looks like a Made in China batch job gone wrong. I agree with the seller in that it should not effect performance. Assuming the motor is just as reliable as the March, it's a great deal. Their plastic 809-PL clone is also a deal at $79. Not a fan of the John Deere green though.

I bought a new March pump from these guys about 2 months ago and also bought their stainless head for it. It seems to be working fine. Odd though that they now call it a "prototype".

I bought the March pump and swapped the heads because I wouldn't put a green pump on my stand! It also gave me a backup head should something go wrong with the SS one.

I'd be inclined to believe that March pumps told them to cut it out. They are/were selling them side by side with the March pumps.

Although I don't really need one I bought it anyway for a future single vessel set up I am thinking of doing. Always good to have a back up pump.

One of the guys in our group Members of Barleyment was doing an assesment of those chugger pumps and had an issue with some sort of breakage. Not sure if it was resolved or not. I think the problem was the motor is ....substandard quality, at least according to the guy who was supposed to test it out for Chugger.
Anyway no word on if was resolved or not. AFAIK most parts are interchangable with the mrch pumps.

I bought my March 809-HS-PL from them. They have great prices. I'm guessing demand has been very high and they are now making their own cloned version of the 809. Housing is green so I'm assuming the motor is not the same. Stainless steel housing looks like a Made in China batch job gone wrong. I agree with the seller in that it should not effect performance. Assuming the motor is just as reliable as the March, it's a great deal. Their plastic 809-PL clone is also a deal at $79. Not a fan of the John Deere green though.

Was that the same pump that had issues with the connectors not being centered? There was a thread about it a while back, the pictures of the pump showed the outlet hole as being off, and the threads looked a little odd.

Now that I have a plate chiller, I am on the hunt for a pump.

I don't understand the buzz about a stainless head when the guts are all plastic?

From a sanitary perspective, i'd agree. The only benefit of the Chugger's stainless head is strength, not worrying about over-tightening the fittings and breaking the plastic head. The chugger listing says that the threads are rough. Wonder how bad it is. I'd just get a plastic march 809 and not worry about quality issues.

From a sanitary perspective, i'd agree. The only benefit of the Chugger's stainless head is strength, not worrying about over-tightening the fittings and breaking the plastic head. The chugger listing says that the threads are rough. Wonder how bad it is. I'd just get a plastic march 809 and not worry about quality issues.

Picture I saw of the threads, it looked like the mold was off by a bit. A little off center and crude looking.

Picture I saw of the threads, it looked like the mold was off by a bit. A little off center and crude looking.

When I got my SS head from them, I was very concerned with the rough looking threads. I put a few wraps of tape on them and put my fittings on and have not had any issues.

I've broken the threads on two plastic heads. One by over tightening it and one by smacking it on something. I wanted the SS head for durability. So far, I've had no issues with it.

I've met the guy who makes the pumps, he's been making pumps for awhile, but on a much larger scale(ie AB brewery in Newark NJ). He said he is planing on redesigning the stainless pump and plans on making the impeller stainless aswell. As for the current pumps he sells, they are pretty good quality. He is mainly intersted in making a more affordable homebrew pump. I have one myself and plan on getting another soon.

Back