Dunkel Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score
My dunkelweizen that I ordered from More Beer! Is not reaching the expected final gravity. I followed the kit instructions and yeast instruction exactly. The OG was where it should be at 1.050.

It has been fermenting for 11 days now at 62-64F and the FG has stayed at 1.022 for the last 3 days.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it is not fermenting all the way through? I aerated the wort and rehydrated the yeast. The color is right and it does not taste bad.

The instructions said to expect 5-5.25% ABV when right now it would only be 3.94% ABV.

Any feedback or advice is greatly welcome!

Here is what the kit included:

6LB Bavarian Wheat DME
½ LB Caramunich
¼ LB Pale Chocolate
¼ LB Carafa Special II
1 OZ Vanguard Hops (60 minutes)
Safbrew T-58 (yeast)

Let it go man, 11 days is hardly long enough for proper attenuation. 62-64 is kinda low for a wheat beer as well. You might bump the temp to 70f. Give it another 10 days and recheck. The attenuation of the yeast you used is about 70% to 75% at best. That means you should expect no better than an FG of 1.012. If conditions aren't perfect, you could end up at between .012 and .022. You have a ways to go. Relax, have a homebrew.

Thanks, I will try warming it up and rousing the yeast and take another reading in a week or so.

Back