Heating elemet terminal temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the temperatures get up to at the screw terminals of a 2000W heating element. I have an idea for sealing, but don't how hot that gets. I know what temps my idea can with stand though. Anyone have any clue?

I did not feel that my reply had enough evidence to back it up. I will hit my RIMS element with an IR temp gun next time I brew.

Similar disclaimer, talking out of my butt, but I'd think 210F is a reasonable estimate if this is a boil kettle. The liquid and vessel should be a heat sink even if the internals of the element get heat passively from the heating portion.

Similar disclaimer, talking out of my butt, but I'd think 210F is a reasonable estimate if this is a boil kettle. The liquid and vessel should be a heat sink even if the internals of the element get heat passively from the heating portion.

This is what I was thinking, but wanted to confirm. What I'm looking to do is this. Terminate my wires at the heating element. Cover terminals with RTV108 (rated up to +200 useful temperature range) then an oring on the back of the cord behind the stripped wires, then one before the terminals and then cover in large diameter heat shrink. The orings held in place by the shrink tubing should block any water, but if any does get through to the terminals, they are protected by the silicone. This is all if my weldless fitting develops a leak to begin with. I'd then cover the whole thing with mesh cable wrap to protect the heat shrink from getting damaged. Keeping in mind this is a Countertop Brutus 20 clone that will be operated in my kitchen, not in some commercial brewery. After seeing the heatsticks for sale at highgravitybrew.com, I think we way over complicate mounting elements.

This is what I was thinking, but wanted to confirm. What I'm looking to do is this. Terminate my wires at the heating element. Cover terminals with RTV108 (rated up to +200 useful temperature range)

Just so you know, the 200 is in celsius, so you won't have any problems with the silicone at all. I just built my heatstick with this sealant andv Gritsak's method. I haven't used it yet, but the method he uses is great, and cheap.

Someone posted the use of a rubber plumbing fitting recently that has SS clamps on both ends. Seems like a simple and cheap method to protect the element end.

Just so you know, the 200 is in celsius, so you won't have any problems with the silicone at all. I just built my heatstick with this sealant andv Gritsak's method. I haven't used it yet, but the method he uses is great, and cheap.
Thanks! I guess if I could read I wouldn't have had to start a thread. I don't see any reason for using the JB weld and coupler. I don't see any difference in his method over the standard method of the PVC cap and JB weld.
I want to use silicone for when the element needs replaced. all my stuff and easily be removed from the element and I won't have to cut the cord and make it shorter each time.

Someone posted the use of a rubber plumbing fitting recently that has SS clamps on both ends. Seems like a simple and cheap method to protect the element end.
Any link to the thread?

Thank you. That does look simple and effective.
electric_connection1.JPG

I think I will proceed with my idea though of the heat shrink and silicone sealant over the terminal connections. then flexwrap over it all.

tonight I went ahead and landed my wires and silconed them on. I figure, 200C (392F) should be safe. Then I read, after globbing and letting all dry tack free, "NOTE: Corrodes copper, brass and sensitive metals". Son of a. I guess I'll let it go and see what happens. I'm guessing I'll be cutting my cord and inch or two shorter and buying a new element.

Back