Holy Grail of Label Materials...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Well, I have been searching for the Holy Grail of label stock. I have tried various sources, but I usually end up with either somehting that looks great, but doesn't stick....something that sticks and looks good but runs...somehting that looks good and sticks but is a major PIA to remove....etc.

Well, I think I have found it. We got a new color laser copier/printer at work. So I started looking for new label stock, having rejoiced that the inkjet stock I was using won't run anymore. I found this:

Avery #6464
http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.Details&catalogcode=WEB01&node=10211267&productcode=6464

3.33"x4" of removable laser shipping labels. With the laser, they end up shiny (and smudge-proof) like a real beer label. They stick well....And sure enough, they peel right off. I labeled four cases last night. For an example of how they look when finished, check my Crazy Uncle 2 thread.

Just thought some others might find this useful.

Todd

I've seen those, I've actually bookmarked that link and looked for them at the local Staples, but I can't justify in my mind spending another $7 or so per batch, just to label the bottles. I'm thinking I will start labelling, but I'm going to try the milk trick with regular paper (and company-paid ink :D).

Great find...I have always been sceptical about labeling my beer for all the above reasons; so I simply haven't. Thanks to your find, I'll have a go at it...just another fun part of the hobby now. Thanks for post.

the_bird said:
I've seen those, I've actually bookmarked that link and looked for them at the local Staples, but I can't justify in my mind spending another $7 or so per batch, just to label the bottles. I'm thinking I will start labelling, but I'm going to try the milk trick with regular paper (and company-paid ink :D).

I understand your concern. You should do what I do. I only label the bottles I'm giving away, and even then, if I'm giving somebody more than one of the same type, I'll only label one or two of them. That way, they get to enjoy the cool label, but I'm not wasting tons of them on bottles I'm going to just drink and re-use in a couple weeks.

Torchiest said:
I understand your concern. You should do what I do. I only label the bottles I'm giving away...

same here. i drink unlabelled bottles, and throw a label on a bottle right before i gift it.

I label all of mine. For me, its another fun aspect of the hobby. Plus, I like the look of the fridge, especially when we have guests or a party...they can just grab what they want...and usually comment on the rows of different labels.

-Todd

Back