Group Brew: Cherry Vanilla Melomel 2/22/09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
***** Added Note: Hightest has graciously offered to track the progress of the group brew. See his post #12.
See Post #22 for the requirements to have Hightest track your progress. Post #22 will list all those that have agreed and contains the post # of their brew log. *****

Ok I'm starting a group brew on Washington's Birthday. In honor of his honesty we will be brewing a Cherry Vanilla Melomel. I propose we all brew on or around February 22nd. Should give us enough time to get the ingredients. If you modify the recipe below, please post. We can even keep a brewlog on this post. If you decide to do a brewlog, please go back and edit your original post with the updated information. This will keep the posting down to a minimum. Feel free to bottle still or sparkling. Sometime down the road (maybe 2/22/10) we should revive this post and do a swap. We will figure out those details at a later date.
I am posting a 3-gallon recipe below. You should scale to your liking. I propose feeding the must based on Hightest's Staggered Nutrient Addition schedule. I use a bucket for my primary fermentation. It's easier to aerate/stir daily. This is why I like to add my fruit to primary. Keeps the secondary rather clean. Feel free to add to secondary if you like. Or even some in primary and some in secondary. I'm also using dried fruit because it's easier for me. You can also use use fresh, frozen or even jarred fruit. If using fresh cherries, you should add some pectic enzyme. NOTE: Make sure the fruit and juice contain no sulfites or other preservatives.

I Cannot Tell A Lie Cherry/Vanilla Mead
O.G. 1.120-1.130
2 to 3 gallons Cherry Juice
Water to 3.5 gallons
8-9 lbs Meadowfoam Honey (has a vanilla/marshmellow taste)
1 lbs Dark Sweet Cherries, Dried (Trader Joe's)
8.0 oz Tart Cherries, Dried (Trader Joe's)
2 Whole Vanilla Beans (Secondary)
1 Pkg Lalvin D-47 or 71B rehydrated w/Go-Ferm
Fermaid-K and DAP
Pectic Enzyme ???

Step 1 (Feb 21): Put 1 qt Cherry Juice in sanitized vessel. Add dried cherries and soak overnite. I use juice made from concentrated Cherry Juice (68 Brix) from Ostbaum Orchards. Trader Joe's also has straight cherry juice. Also if you prefer to use pectic enzyme, now is the time to add it.
Step 2 (Feb 22): Coarsely mash the berry mixture with hand blender. Add Cherry Juice, honey (Flying Bee Ranch) and water to make at least 3.5 gallons . Mix and aerate well. You will need about 3.5 gallons in primary to get 3 gallons in secondary after the first rack. Add Fermaid-K + DAP. Pitch yeast (consider Hightest's new method) and cover with sanitized cloth or lid.
Step 3: Check must every 6-8 hours for end of lag phase (foaming). At end of lag phase add Fermaid-K + DAP.
Step 4: Aerate daily until 1/3 sugar break.
Step 5: Once past 1/3 break, stir the must daily (as opposed to aerating) until the 2/3 sugar break.
Step 6: At 1/2 sugar break add Fermaid-K + DAP and mix well.
Step 7: Rack to secondary when finished (2-3 weeks) and add vanilla beans. Top off with cherry juice. I use whole vanilla beans. If you like to split and scrape, you might want to try one and give it a taste after sitting a month.
Step 8: Rack after 1-2 months. Taste for level of dryness/sweetness and vanilla. Adjust if necessary.
Step 9: Rack every 2-3 months until clear then bottle.
Step 10: Let's swap!

That eBay seller has some bada$$ pricing! ~$25 shipped for 5 lbs. of honey. Wish they had mesquite though.

A great company to order Vanilla beads from is The Organic Vanilla Bean Company LLC Home Page
Some great deals. I got 3/4 a pound of vanilla beans for under $30. That's nearly 100 vanilla beans. I did 1/4 Tahitian and 1/2 Boubon. I have lots, I was thinking on doing a Cherry Vanilla in fall. Carboys are full up till late spring.

I cant wait to get this started. Cherry and vanilla sound so good together.

Now i need to free up some carboy space

Matrix...how well do vanilla beans store? how long can they be kept?

Dan

Dan

They store well. Their website recomends that you store them in a airtight sealed glass container. Also putting small groups in plastic wrap. Airing out every 2-3 months. Now they menton that vanilla beans keep at peak freshness or what ever that is, but good for at least 2 years. Personally, I wouldn't keep them longer than 5. Something else grocery stores don't want you to know is that it is EASY to make vanilla extract.

Take 6 vanilla beans, (about 6 inchers), and split and scrape. Then chop up the husk into small peices, seal up with a cup of vodka, rum, or other alcohol about 30-40% ABV, shake once a day for a week, then leave alone for 2 months. Strain and then you have vanilla extract. The extract will keep on the order of decades and it will be much higher quality than store bought. 2 months is for full extraction of flavor, by the way. But I am going to do this with some white rum that I have handy.

Dan

Dan, from that site\:

Life Span – Correctly stored beans may be kept for up to 2 years. However, we recommend buying quantities of beans that you will use within one year.

And Matrix, thank you SO much for this. After spending $20(30?) on vanilla extract for a 6 gallon batch of mead, I figured I should make my own with vodka and beans and save some money. Was looking for a good local source of beans, but no one is going to beat that price here, so I'll just order.

Definitely get beans online, I have yet to find any stores that can compete. I use cheap vodka to make my extract, turns out quite well. Make sure you shake it for a week like he recommends, otherwise it can take forever to get good stuff. Some people also like to sweeten it up with just a bit of sugar, but that is totally personal preference.

Dan, from that site\:
And Matrix, thank you SO much for this. After spending $20(30?) on vanilla extract for a 6 gallon batch of mead, I figured I should make my own with vodka and beans and save some money. Was looking for a good local source of beans, but no one is going to beat that price here, so I'll just order.

No Problem. Happy to help. The price is actually obnoxious in the stores. Once I found out how to make extract and this store, they ship fast too. Then I was golden. I searched locally and found that they wanted up to $6 for 2 vanilla beans and this was considered good? It is so much hype. I plan on making my extract with rum as I have problems with vodka. Rum is good.

And all the info they have about Vanilla beans is great. I was very happy to find it. And You can smell it through the vacume pack when it comes. Yum, yum. I found the price so cheap that I have no problems putting vanilla in my panckake batter for some extra yum. Big hit. I also put it in some of my cider (non-alchoholic) and wow, can't taste vanilla but it sure rounds out the flavor and takes the bite off of it. This website has encouraged me to actually USE them and get more enjoyment out of some foods. I am even planing on making some extract to give as Holiday gifts. I wouldn't use more than 7 beans a cup as it doesn't extract as much. I think that comercially it is about 4 beans that they use, but their extraction methods are better, not by much though.

This post is for Poobah and the others in the group.

Although I will not be participating in this group brew, it provides a great opportunity for learning. What I mean by this is that I would be willing to plot (chart) the group's progress if they are willing to follow a few requirements:
  1. Poobah PMs me a list of all those in the group brew, by screen name
  2. The group brewers identify all recipe deviations - yeast, type of nutrient, batch size, did they follow the rehydration & SNA FAQs, etc. (I will ask questions as necessary)
  3. The group brewers measure their OG, and take SG readings at 24 hr intervals for 7 days, after 1 week we can discuss if there's a benefit to go further.
I will create a group brew chart, U/L it to my website, and post a link to it in this topic for all to see how their batch performs in comparison to the other brewers.

You'd be surprised what you might learn from this... :)

FWIW, I chart all my brew fermentations. With mead, I typically check the SG daily for 6-8 days, then at 2 day intervals for the next 4 days. Usually, nothing more is needed... I use a refractometer, and filter the sample, which makes this easier than using a hydrometer.

Thanks, but we need some of the other brewers to agree.

BTW, I'm enjoying a very nice vanilla metheglin as I write this... :)

Hightest, this sounds like a great idea. You have my support.
Ok... On 2/20/09 send me a PM with the screen names of those who have confirmed their participation in the group brew and adhere to the requirements I posted.

I will ASSUME, that all group brewers will follow the recipe as stated, UNLESS they post a comment in this topic that identifies any recipe deviations.

Then, I will expect each group brerwer to post their OG on 2/22/09, and their daily SGs for the next 7 days.

Given those posts happen, I will post a reply with a link to the group's progress chart, and perhaps point out any observations that may need to be discussed among the group members. :)

It would also be helpful if anyone who tries my new yeast pitching technique lets me know who they are.

Well I am not in for sure, but assuming I am, I will definitely be willing to accept your help and go along with your schedule Hightest.

Cherry Staind Wooden Teeth Mead

4.25 gallons Cherry Juice in primary (SG of juice 1.055)
9# of local San Diego Light Mesquite Honey
3# Light Clover

1 Pkg Lalvin D-47 properly rehydrated per packet instructions
Staggered Fermaid-K and DAP additions
*Pectic Enzyme ???
*?? lbs Dark Sweet Cherries, Dried (1st secondary)
*?? oz Tart Cherries, Dried (1st secondary)
*2 Whole Vanilla Beans (2nd Secondary)
* - Not yet used/performed

Step 1 : Aerate the crap out of cherry juice, 4.5g Fermaid-K and 4.5gDAP and honey in primary (OG 1.140)
Step 2 : Pitch yeast (used Hightest's new method) 2:30pm Installed blow off on carboy.
Step 3: Check must every 6-8 hours for end of lag phase (foaming). Checked at 11:30pm (7 hours after pitching..... no foaming)
*At end of lag phase add Fermaid-K + DAP?
*Step 4: Aerate daily until 1/3 sugar break.
*Step 5: Once past 1/3 break, stir the must daily until the 2/3 sugar break.
*Step 6: At 1/2 sugar break add Fermaid-K + DAP and mix well.
*Step 7: Rack to secondary when finished (2-3 weeks) and add cherries.
*Use 1 gallon jug to hold the excess volume displaced by cherries. Wait 6-12 weeks, rack off cherries onto vanilla beans and top up *carboy.
*Step 8: Rack after 1-2 months. Taste for level of dryness/sweetness and vanilla. Adjust if necessary.
*Step 9: Rack every 2-3 months until clear then bottle.
*Step 10: Let's swap!

I'm in, i will post recipe deviations later. But i don't plan on adding fruit to the primary.
Thanks, but please help me out by waiting until the brew day, and then just post any ingredient or process deviations as they occur.

That way I won't have to try and keep track of them now; and who knows, you might change your mind by brew day. ;)

If I can get the ingredients in time I'd love to participate. Finding any type of cherries, dried or fresh in Saskatchewan during the middle of winter could pose to be a bit of a problem. Will post sooner to the brew date as to whether or not I can partake.

This post contains the names of the people willing to post their daily data so Hightest can track our progress (see Posts #12, 16 & 20). To join you must PM me and be willing to follow these rules:

You must pitch your yeast on Feb. 22nd and post a brew log within this post and indicate deviations from the original poster's recipe and the following:
1. Batch size
2. OG: (Measure this before pitching the yeast)
3. Ambient Area temp:
4. Rehydrated IAW the FAQ? (Y/N), Used Go-Ferm? (Y/N)
5. Nutrient brands used: Fermaid-K, DAP (or generic) and when it was added.
6. SG measurements by Hydrometer or Refractometer? (H/R). Try to measure at same time each day.
7. If anyone will be checking the must pH, get a reference value and also note the test method - paper, probe, etc.
89. Each day you must post your SG, pH (if possible), whether you stirred or aerated, and whether you added nutrient and how much.

The following people have signed up:
(I will add brew log post # when available)

Poobah58: Brew log Post #23
dudasaj: Brew log Post #30
HarvInSTL: Brew log Post #32

Poobah58 BrewLog:
Batch Size: 3.5 gallons
Recipe: 11lbs Meadowfoam honey, 24 oz. Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate, Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast
Campden or Pectic Enzyme Used: No
Starting Must pH: 3.84
Using SNA: Yes
OG: 30 Brix (1.129)
SG (SNA Stage 2): 28.5 Brix (1.117)
SG (SNA Stage 3): 22 Brix (1.068)
Lag Time: Somewhere between 7-9 hrs.
O2/Air Infused & Duration (min.): Mixed and aerated with lees stirrer then oxygen for 2 minutes
Nutrient Brand: Fermaid-K

DAP Brand: DAP
Rehydrated: Yes, w/Go-Ferm
Equipment: Refractometer, Hanna pH meter.

Feb. 22 3:00PM: OG=1.129 (30 Brix), pH=3.84 (before yeast and nutrients). Must temp= 80°F. Room temp= 70°F. Added 3.2gr Fermaid-K and 3.2gr DAP. Aerated and oxygenated.
Feb. 23 5:30PM: OG=28.5 Brix (1.117). pH=3.90 (after nutrients added). Must temp= 67.3°F. Room temp= 71°F. Added 2.0gr Fermaid-K and 2.0gr DAP. Stirred well in morning and evening. Evening stir (with lees stirrer) erupted and I lost between 1-2 qts. :mad:
Feb. 24 5:00PM: OG=25.0 Brix (1.090). pH=3.71. Must temp= 69.5°F. Room temp= 70°F. Aerated with air pump for 1 minute in in morning. Stirred in evening.
Feb. 25 4:45PM: OG=23.5 Brix (1.079). pH=3.70. Must temp= 68.5°F. Room temp= 70°F. Stirred in morning and evening.
Feb. 26 8:00PM: OG=22 Brix (1.068). pH=3.80. Must temp= 68°F. Room temp= 70°F. Added 1.3gr Fermaid-K and 1.3gr DAP (got a mini eruption):eek:. Stirred in morning and evening.
Feb. 27 5:15PM: OG=19.5 Brix (1.050). pH=3.90. Must temp= 68°F. Room temp= 71°F. Stirred in morning and evening.
Feb. 28 8:15PM: OG=18 Brix (1.039). pH=3.94. Must temp= 67.5°F. Room temp= 70°F. Stirred in morning and evening.
Mar. 1 9:15PM: OG=17 Brix (1.032). pH=4.01. Must temp= 67°F. Room temp= 69°F. Stirred in morning and evening.
Mar. 2 8:15PM: OG=16 Brix (1.025). pH=4.05. Must temp= 66.5°F. Room temp= 70°F. Stirred in morning and evening.
Mar. 3 8:00PM: OG=15 Brix (1.018). Room temp= 70°F. Stirred in evening.
Mar. 6 4:00PM: OG=15 Brix (1.018). pH=4.19.
Mar. 7: OG=15 Brix. Racked onto 1.5#'s dried Sweet Cherries and a 1/2# dried Tart Cherries. Added 1 bourbon and 2 tahitian vanilla beans (split). Topped off with 1 qt honey water. New gravity = 20 Brix.
Mar. 29: Racked. SG = 19 Brix. Nice flavor. Vanilla just about perfect. Added 2 qts cherry juice. New SG = 18 Brix. A little on the sweet side. Might have to add more yeast.

I will be brewing this in the 22nd Im getting my juice and cherries tonight

But im not sure I care how it plots out on a graph

Poobah58 BrewLog:
(right now this is a just a sample)

Recipe: Same as OP
Batch Size: 3 gallons
Yeast: ???
OG: (Measure this before pitching the yeast)
Ambient Area temp:
Rehydrated IAW the FAQ? (Y/N), Used Go-Ferm? (Y/N)
Nutrient brand: DAP brand (or generic):
SG measurements by Hydrometer or Refractometer? (H/R)
If anyone will be checking the must pH, get a reference value and also note the test method - paper, probe, etc.

Day 1: Pitched yeast. Added x grams Fermaid-K and x grams DAP. Aerated.
Day 2: Aerated in morning, stirred at night. SG= xxBrix (1.xxx). pH = x.xx
Day 3: blah, blah, blah
Day 4: blah, blah, blah
Day 5: blah, blah, blah
Day 6: blah, blah, blah
Day 7: blah, blah, blah
Good idea. Now let's trim this a bit so it's no so demanding. Here's my thoughts.
1) It is not necessary to specify the nutrient weights (unless someone is doing something different) - Just note when the Stage 1,2,& 3 nutrients are added.
2) It is helpful to know what nutrient brands are being used, so note that in the first post
3) SG sample timing. While it is always best to measure the SG at regular intervals, not everyone can do it at the same time of the day (work schedules, etc.). So whatever time of the day you start sampling, try very hard to do it at the same time (within an hour) for all the samples you take.

Yeah, I am in the process of gathering ingredients now...I hope to have them all in by brewing day...I have to order everything via the net.

Dan

Another thought for PooBah...

When I managed a group brew I always started a topic like this to discuss the recipe, the process, and whatever else came up before brew day.

Then, on Brew day, I started a new topic for the express purpose of managing the group brew. I then CLOSED the older disscussion topic (I was mod then so I could do that) making sure that any future group brew discussion happened in the proper topic - it also makes for a clean read for those who might come after the group brew is completed.

I also made the last post in that topic pointing people to the new topic - lest they may not pay attention... ;)

If you think that makes sense, perhaps you can ask one of the mods here to do that for you

Cherry Stained Wooden Teeth Mead

4.25 gallons Cherry Juice in primary (SG of juice 1.055)
9# of local San Diego Light Mesquite Honey
3# Light Clover

1 Pkg Lalvin D-47 properly rehydrated per packet instructions. Go-Ferm NOT used
SNA I apparently use CROSBY & BAKER FERMAX - Their conversion is 5.1g/tsp... SO i used 5.1g of FERMAX at initial activity and 3.8g during the second addition
My DAP is made by "BREWCRAFT"
Ambient Area temp: 73F at pitching.
Measurements taken using a Hydrometer
Aerated for 15minutes using air stone and pump
Must pitching temp: 68F
Oregon Sweet Cherry Puree 1 Can 3lbs 1oz
*Pectic Enzyme ???
*2 Whole Vanilla Beans (2nd Secondary)
* - Not yet used/performed

2/22/09
Aerated the crap out of cherry juice, 5.1g Fermax and 4.5g DAP and honey in primary (OG 1.140)
Pitched yeast (used Hightest's new method) 2:30pm Installed blow off on carboy.
Checked at 11:30pm (7 hours after pitching) no activity

2/23/09
Checked at 10:30am 2/23/09 (18 hours after pitching) slow bubbling, about 3-4/minute. Made 2nd SNA - 3.8g Fermax and 2.8g DAP. Aerated with air pump 5 minutes.
2:30pm S/G - 1.136, Activity slowed following the nutrient addition, aeration and stirring.... Back up to ~8 bubbles/minute.
10:00pm Fermentation in full swing ~45 bubbles/minute

2/24/09
2:30pm S/G - 1.117 Aeration 5min with aeration stone and stirring. Has a wonderfully bright red cherry color. Must and Ambient temp 77F

2/25/09
3:00pm S/G - 1.109 Aeration 5min with aeration stone and stirring. Must temp 78F and Ambient temp 75F

2/26/09
2:30pm S/G - 1.100 Aeration 5min with aeration stone and stirring. Must temp 78F and Ambient temp 75F. Developed a slight Kraeusen. PICS

2/27/09
Went out of town for a funeral.... sorry no update until Tuesday. I gave it a quick stir before heading to the airport this morning.

3/4/09
9:00Am S/G - 1.066(before addition) Just past the 1/2 sugar break, added last SNA addition. Stirred. Must temp 80F and Ambient temp 76F. Redeveloped a slight Kraeusen. Passed the 1/3 break (1.093) while out of town... suspect on 2/28/09

3/5/09
4:30pm S/G - 1.061 Stirred must. Must temp 78F.

3/6/09
4:30pm S/G - 1.057 Stirred must. Must temp 78F.

3/7/09
7:00pm S/G - 1.051 Stirred must. Must temp 78F.

3/8/09
9:30am S/G - 1.046 2/3 sugar break, stirred must for last time. Must temp 78F.

3/9/09
5:30pm S/G - 1.041 Must temp 78F.

3/12/09
4:00pm S/G - 1.030 Must temp 77F.

3/15/09
2:00pm S/G - 1.020 Must temp 77F.

3/18/09
2:00pm S/G - 1.020 Must temp 77F. Appears to have stabilized. No bubbling. Darkening in color due to yeast settling out.

3/19/09
5:00pm S/G - 1.020 Must temp 77F. Racked onto Oregon Sweet Cherry Puree 1 Can (3lbs 1oz). 1 gallon jug holding excess for top up.

6/8/09
Racked off cherry puree onto 3 split vanilla beans.
Lost a lot of liquid with such a thick trub and puree layer.
It has a fantastic ruby color, I hope that doesn't fade.

*Step 8: Rack after 1-2 months. Taste for level of dryness/sweetness and vanilla. Adjust if necessary.
*Step 9: Rack every 2-3 months until clear then bottle.
*Step 10: Let's swap!

DSCF1052.jpg

DSCF1055.jpg

DSCF1056.jpg

HarvInSTL BrewLog:
Batch Size: 3.0 gallons
Recipe: 8lbs Meadowfoam honey, 7 cups Ardo Sour Cherry Syrup, Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast
Campden or Pectic Enzyme Used: No
Amb. Rm Temp: 69-70 °F
Must Temp at pitch: 75°F
Starting Must pH: Dead batteries
Using SNA: Yes
OG: 27.5 Brix
SG (SNA Stage 2)?:
SG (SNA Stage 3)?:
Lag Time:
O2/Air Infused & Duration (min.): Pure O2 60 seconds.
Nutrient Brand: Fermaid-K
DAP Brand: DAP
Rehydrated: Yes, w/Go-Ferm
Equipment: Refractometer, pH meter.

Feb. 22: OG=1.100, Pitched yeast at 11:50PM. Added 2.6gr Fermaid-K and 2.6gr DAP. Pure O2 60 seconds.

Methods followed: hightest's SNA , dry yeast rehydration ,
BUMP.... Trying to encourage others to get in on this

I have just created the spreadsheet for this group brew, and have included the following brewers: Poohbah58 (PB), Flyweed (Fly), Pulpfiction32 (Pulp), Tusch, Dadasaj (Dad), Robsauce (Rob) [late start?], HarvInSTL (Harv).

The characters in parenthesis are how you will be identified on the chart, and if someone else is joining the group, please make that clear to me - thanks.

As a reminder...
Unless it is clearly stated in a brew day post, I will ASSUME everyone is following the recipe and the staggered nutrient & rehydration FAQs. That includes the use of Go-Ferm, Fermaid-K, and DAP.

Please state any deviations from this assumption - on the brew day...

Thank you.

If could ask an ingredient question.

What type/size of vanilla beans are you using? I've got 11 Grade A 7"+ Madagascar Bourbon Beans from Madagascar and 11 Grade A 7"+ Tahitian Vanilla Beans from Papua New Guinea on their way. I'm leaning towards using two of the Tahitian beans, but was interested in other thoughts on the matter.

If could ask an ingredient question.

What type/size of vanilla beans are you using? I've got 11 Grade A 7"+ Madagascar Bourbon Beans from Madagascar and 11 Grade A 7"+ Tahitian Vanilla Beans from Papua New Guinea on their way. I'm leaning towards using two of the Tahitian beans, but was interested in other thoughts on the matter.

Here is some great info I dug up on the website that I found on the diffrences in the two types of vanilla beans.
Bourbon or Tahitian?
The vanilla bean is the only fruit that is borne by an Orchid. There are over 100 different species of vanilla-bearing orchids but only two are used for vanilla flavoring. However the two varieties are completely different in both the flavor and aroma profiles. Some important things to remember are:
The variety that you select should be entirely a matter of personal choice depending on the intended use and the ingredients used in the determined process. The table on the right lists some common uses of vanilla and the variety recommended.

Our experience has determined that a blend of both varieties often provides the best results. This may involve some experimenting, whether using beans directly in a recipe, or making an extract, essence, paste, custard or the like. We recommend varying the percentage of each variety until you find the right profile.

Bourbon beans are less plump than the Tahitian variety. Both varieties have over two hundred natural organic compounds that contribute to their unique flavor profile. Tahitian beans provide a stronger aroma with a greater complexity in their notes, while Bourbon beans share some of these major notes but are less complex providing the classic vanilla flavor.

The followings are profiles of each variety:
Bourbon vanilla comes from the fruit of an orchid variety called Vanilla planifolia. Its main component is called vanillin (about 2.3% in our beans), followed by 4-hydroxybenzaldyde and vanillin-2,3-butanediol-acetal. (They sound like nasty chemicals, but they are all healthy naturally occurring organic compounds!) Bourbon has a creamy, sweet, smooth and mellow flavor with a long finish but with a subdued nose. Use Bourbon for applications requiring a classic lingering vanilla accent.

Tahitian Vanilla comes from the fruit of an orchid variety called Vanilla tahitensis and its main natural organic compounds are p-anisyl alcohol and vanillin (about 1.34% in our beans). Other noticeable components are p-anisyl formate, methyl p-anisate and, p-anisyl acetate. Tahitian beans are more delicate than Bourbon with a stronger nose - they are flowery, fruity and anisic with a smooth flavor. Gourmet and pastry chefs love to work with the Tahitian variety, as they crave its instant flavor burst without the lingering finish.

Tasting Notes:
These notes may vary slightly with the specific growing area, curing process and other factors.
- Bourbon: Butter, licorice, green peas, citrus, antiseptic cream, milk chocolate, brown fruit, vanillin
- Tahitian: Butter, licorice, citrus, fruity, chocolate, nutty, toffee, vanillin

Making Extract? – Make extract, essence, paste or custard using beans reflecting the above needs – consider using a blend, such as 70% Bourbon - 30% Tahitian or vice versa. Experiment to find the right blend and share your success stories by posting the results on our Recipes page.

Hope it helps in selection.

The following list identifies the other group brew parameters I'd like to obtain from each group brewer - Starting on Brew Day.

Hopefully, you can copy this list, add your specific info, and paste it back into a post in the new Group Brew topic that will be created by PooBah58 on the brew date. This "fill in the blank" method should make it easier to provide the information... :)

OG (SNA Stage 1)?:
SG (SNA Stage 2)?:
SG (SNA Stage 3)?:
Honey Variety?:
Yeast Type?:
Pectic Enzyme Used?:
Must Temp:
Lag Time:
O2/Air Infused & Duration (min.):
Nutrient Brand?:
DAP Brand?:
Using SNA?:
Rehydrated?:
Used Go-Ferm?:
Amb. Rm Temp:

Any questions?

FYI, I define lag time as the difference in time between pitching the yeast and when positive air lock bubble movement is observed - positive bubble movement occurs when you can begin see the bubble slowly move.

Holy hell! I just got back from Trader Joe's and my god this is going to be an expensive mead!

Here are the prices that I found at TJ's.

Dried tart cherries - $3.69/8oz
Dark sweet cherries - $3.29/6oz
Cherry juice - $3.99/32oz

The dried cherries aren't too bad, but that cherry juice is crazy! I don't feel like spending $48 for 3 gallons of cherry juice. Has anyone found it cheaper?

Holy hell! I just got back from Trader Joe's and my god this is going to be an expensive mead!

Here are the prices that I found at TJ's.

Dried tart cherries - $3.69/8oz
Dark sweet cherries - $3.29/6oz
Cherry juice - $3.99/32oz

The dried cherries aren't too bad, but that cherry juice is crazy! I don't feel like spending $48 for 3 gallons of cherry juice. Has anyone found it cheaper?
I bought concentrate. 16 oz concentrate plus 3.5 qts water makes 1 gal juice. Check my OP for link. You can get away with 2 gallons if you add more honey and dried tart cherries!

Back