Time in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ale I racked today was brewed on 12/16/08. That's just about 2 days under three weeks, and it's early for me! I like to leave them about 3-4 weeks usually, and then either rack to secondary or keg or bottle, depending on what kind of beer it is.

I think the risk of autolysis is way overstated. I've made about 250 batches or so, and I've never experienced it or heard of anyone having it firsthand.

I am still very new to this but I did leave my first batch in the primary for exactly 4 weeks. I then bottled and let sit to condition for another 3 weeks. I was VERY happy with the results. I hope my next batch turns out as well as the first.

A month is fine. Two months might even be ok, but I generally rack by the six week point if I haven't already.

It's a bit of a different animal, but I just racked a mead that's been in the primary since the first week of November. The sample tasted pretty darn good!

I am still very new to this but I did leave my first batch in the primary for exactly 4 weeks. I then bottled and let sit to condition for another 3 weeks. I was VERY happy with the results. I hope my next batch turns out as well as the first.

I am REALLY new to this and getting all paranoid about my first batch and how long to leave in primary but this was THE post I was looking for - cheers.:D

I recently had a batch in the primary for over 2 months.. your fine..

The ale I racked today was brewed on 12/16/08. That's just about 2 days under three weeks, and it's early for me! I like to leave them about 3-4 weeks usually, and then either rack to secondary or keg or bottle, depending on what kind of beer it is.

I think the risk of autolysis is way overstated. I've made about 250 batches or so, and I've never experienced it or heard of anyone having it firsthand.

Most people have tasted autolysis in sparkling wine.

Back