getting drunk in bars in texas.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there's an election coming up, and a gun show, so one way or other my guess is that won't last long.

I know we're not supposed to talk politics here, so I'm gonna leave for a bit now and go pound a politician on some other board. :mad:

Without getting into politics I have to question this pr!ck law enforcement attitude. Following their logic, how do they know you're not planning on calling a cab, wife or have a designated driver.

The cops here in OKC pulled that a few years back. Funny thing, was they found one bar to pick on. Busted it like 3-4 times in as many months. They just walked in in full uniform and started arresting people. Ended up causing the bar to shut down. Sucked too, it was an OKC icon. The T-Bar.

I'm not saying that everyone in law enforcement is a pr!ck. I know some very cool people in that field, but these people, they're pr!cks.

to quote from the link -
"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

How can the agents prove someone was going to leave a bar and then find a balcony and miss the pool? Does a drinker have to be wearing goggles, a swimhat and speedos to be a suspect?:confused:

I believe they aren't assuming people are going to go out and do stupid stuff, they are only enforcing the stupid law of public intoxication, which is a law you can find practically anywhere and is only enforced when the cops/DA/state feel like it.
You're right about this being an election year and this should only be temporary. It will probably end up backfiring since now everyone who opposes it will go out and get hammered in public.

We should probably leave the White House out of this conversation.....

Bjorn Borg said:
what does an election have to do with this? Is Carrie Nation running for office or something?

Do you think a majority of the public would vote for someone who supported this or someone who opposed this? Alot of old people vote and alot of old men drink Bud.

I make it a rule that when I'm in Tejas, I only drink in my car, or at Johnson Space Centre, and I've never had any trouble. (Except the time when they couldn't get me off the 2-D zero-g chair.)

Lou said:

Harassment of bar patrons has been going on here for decades. Usually, from my experiences, it is local cops who will do walk throughs late at night. Haven't seen too many people hauled off, but talk about killing the atmosphere.

I can't wait to get back to New Orleans, where walking down the middle of Bourbon St. with a drink in your hand, and raising hell is the norm and expected! :mug:

Caplan said:
to quote from the link -
"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

How can the agents prove someone was going to leave a bar and then find a balcony and miss the pool? Does a drinker have to be wearing goggles, a swimhat and speedos to be a suspect?:confused:

You forgot the 10 gallon hat Caplan. :D

Can you imagine walking into a bar in Texas wearing speedos! Haha! :D Better hope the plod are around for some measure of protection!

wow, my hatred of Texas has been reinforced once again. The AR public intoxication law has an exception for being drunk in a bar. Here's an idea for the Texas law enforcement - instead of busting people for being drunk in a bar (which I would question that being considered public) why don't you just set out shop outside of all the bars and wait for them to come outside? Then if they do anything stupid, they are definitely drunk in public.

cowain said:
instead of busting people for being drunk in a bar (which I would question that being considered public) why don't you just set out shop outside of all the bars
Because then they couldn't sit and have a beer with their girlfriends while they waited. ;)

cowain said:
wow, my hatred of Texas has been reinforced once again.

I'm sure every state has its flaws. Texas is a pretty cool state to live in. Besides this bar thing, what else is there to hate about it? Just the attitudes of some Texans? Or that Texas produces better college football teams than Arkansas? :D

El Pistolero said:
One good team in 35 years and suddenly everybody has the big head. :p

Ahhh.... now I have you figured out! All this time I thought you were a Texan at heart, but in reality, you are claiming parts of Texas for Oklahoma! Oh my.... lol

Lounge Lizard said:
I'm sure every state has its flaws. Texas is a pretty cool state to live in. Besides this bar thing, what else is there to hate about it? Just the attitudes of some Texans? Or that Texas produces better college football teams than Arkansas? :D

Yeah, I've hated Texas since AR was in the SWC and Texas always used to whoop our ass at War Memorial stadium. I'd go to games with my grandad and we'd have to sit there with a crapton of Texans who never get tired of ringing an effin cowbell.

However, let me direct your attention to the recent Cotton Bowls between AR and TX. Those made me feel better.

So I suppose it is a combination of Texans's attitudes and the old football days.

I'm against Texas because the last summer I was there (the one that drove me out) set a record for both consecutive days of >100F, as well as a record number of days where the low was >80F. Also, 98% of Dallas looks pretty much the same. But I can't say I didn't have some good times, and Austin is one of the coolest cities in the country.

I heard a real good point brought up onthe radio about this topic based on this quote.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkeness, Beck said.

So if bars are public places . . .

Lets say I'm back in Corpus Christi hanging out at my favorite nudie bar "Peppers". . .
Are the Strippers goning to get busted for indecent exposure or lewd behavior?

Let's say I'm not at the nudie bar and just in some bar . . .
If I go and take a leak in the restroom will I get busted for public urination?

It's F'ed up things like this that make me want to grab my guns and head to the capitol

Whiskey Rebelion Part II anyone?

Pumbaa said:
So if bars are public places . . .

Lets say I'm back in Corpus Christi hanging out at my favorite nudie bar "Peppers". . .
Are the Strippers goning to get busted for indecent exposure or lewd behavior?
The legal loophole here is that strip bars must be licensed by the local powers that be, so they essentially have approval. Also, aren't most of them private clubs?

Not that I disagree...I mean bars are licensed to serve alcohol, so it's a bit odd that the patrons aren't expected to drink it, occasionally to the point of drunkeness.

What about private clubs? Can you get drunk there? When I lived in Dallas every single bar and restaurant that served alcohol was essentially a private club due to the f'ed up laws there. You had to buy a $1 card (Unicard) to join the club that, oddly enough, every single bar and restaurant in the area was a member of.

Edit...and I'm from the South, so a good rebellion is never out of the question! The War of T-totaller Agression!

Edit...and I'm from the South, so a good rebellion is never out of the question! The War of T-totaller Agression!

ROFL

I'm a Yankee born and bred but being Irish I think hooiganism is a genetic trait. I'm sure being a Libertarian (borderline anarchist) helps too.

So Beegee and me are in . . . Who else wants to join? We'll turn Texas into our own republic . . . "We'll call it Canada" (obscure M*A*S*H reference)

Pumbaa said:
Who else wants to join? We'll turn Texas into our own republic
Sorry man...we've already annexed Tejas...it's now officially known as Baja Oklahoma. It's been that way since everyone left during the hurricane.

Next they will breath test everyone in the bar. Score .08 and off to jail. I could see some merit in the parking lot with keys in hand. Wonder what's next in ridiculous laws,:mad:

El Pistolero said:
Sorry man...we've already annexed Tejas...

Tejas is right, but you have annexed northern Mexico. There no longer is a Texas (thanks in large part to Jorge Bush). Just ask any of the several million illegal aliens who now have taken up residency here. I can't even walk into many grocery stores around here, without getting the evil eye for being of European descent....

El Pistolero said:
Careful there bucko...don't want to be getting all political now. :)

I hear ya. It's just that I just got back from the grocery store and was in a somewhat ranting mood. I voted for Bush twice, but he is chapping my behind mightily on this issue!

ranting mode off/> ;)

[SIZE=+1]Texas suspends public intoxication stings[/SIZE]
Associated Press ^ | April 13, 2006

DALLAS — The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said Wednesday it has suspended a crackdown on public intoxication after a public outcry over the program that sends undercover officers into drinking establishments.

The commission announced last week that it was conducting an internal investigation of the program.

Beck said the commission opted to put the program on hold "just to give us time to sift through all the information we've received and pull together all the information and determine the best way to proceed."

More than 2,200 bar patrons or workers have been arrested or issued citations since August. The purpose is to stop the sale of alcoholic beverages to people who are drunk and, as a result, cut down on the number of drunken drivers.

But media reports about the program after a sting last month in the Dallas suburb of Irving prompted criticism that the arrests could prove bad for business if they drive away conventions and other tourists.

(Excerpt) Read more at chron.com ...

I wonder how the mechanical bull industry was affected by all this...i mean, you couldnt get me on one of those things unless i were sh*t faced!

Bjorn Borg said:
I wonder how the mechanical bull industry was affected by all this...i mean, you couldnt get me on one of those things unless i were sh*t faced!
Gilly's burned down like ten years ago, and I'm pretty sure the last mechanical bull in existence got bbq'd in the fire. :D

Lounge Lizard + said:
Beck said the commission opted to put the program on hold "just to give us time to sift through all the information we've received and pull together all the information and determine the best way to proceed."
Which is politicianese for "Yes, we are in fact idiots, and yes, the program is in fact cancelled."

Baron von BeeGee said:
"Yes, we are in fact idiots, and yes, the program is in fact cancelled...
...temporarily, until after the election, at which point we should have another 18 months to screw you some more." :mad:

El Pistolero said:
Gilly's burned down like ten years ago, and I'm pretty sure the last mechanical bull in existence got bbq'd in the fire. :D

No bull. Real cowboys ride real bulls. From the Billy Bob's website:

Real Bullriding
At Billy Bob's Texas
Every Friday and Saturday night there is real bullriding at Billy Bob's Texas in our indoor arena. Come watch real cowboys take on real bulls!

---------------

No mechanical bulls at Billy Bob's!

It's waaaaay more fun to watch drunk people bust ass off of fake bulls than it is to watch real men take on real bulls.

when real men take on real bulls, one of them might actually ride the thing - and who cares about that? The fun for me is seeing some drunk dude get tossed. That's entertainment.

cowain said:
It's waaaaay more fun to watch drunk people bust ass off of fake bulls than it is to watch real men take on real bulls.

when real men take on real bulls, one of them might actually ride the thing - and who cares about that? The fun for me is seeing some drunk dude get tossed. That's entertainment.

hell yeah! better yet, watching HOT drunk girls in bikini's getting thrown is way more fun then watching some bareback mountain dude wearing tight wranglers ride a real bull...

guess im not a bull riding purist...

Bjorn Borg said:
hell yeah! better yet, watching HOT drunk girls in bikini's getting thrown is way more fun then watching some bareback mountain dude wearing tight wranglers ride a real bull...

guess im not a bull riding purist...
i agree with this entirely.
besides, REAL men ride big bucking chickens....

Back